time to beat the tire dead horse again

GoldenMotor.com

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hey guys,

I just commissioned taylarmotorbikes to start a board track build. I am looking to source a good white tire for the bike, will be using the worksman clincher rims 26 x 2.35.

so far the only white or cream tire i can find are the:

electra vintage diamond tire, you can find them on amazon
schwalbe fat frank cream tire, also on amazon and other places.

Anyone else know of another white or cream tire in this size? Especially if it is a kevlar reinforced tire?

muchas gracias

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Hey Gearnut,

This tire would be perfect if i were attempting to build or restore something that is truly period correct, but for an MB, the 306 price tag prices me right the heck out. I saw these before, i think they also make a 3 inch wide which would be awesome...but again...ouch in the price department.

thanks for the post, that was fast!!!!

take er easy

Tom G

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Sorry! :oops: I did not look at the price. I just looked at the size and construction.
$306 could buy a whole bike and engine kit! Sheesh!
I agree with you on that price. :eek:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
If you use the motorcycle tire you have to have the motorcycle rim to go with it. It uses a bead that is very different from bicycles. I have been using the Fat Franks and they are ok, but I am not getting a lot of life out of my rear tires. I may have to try the Electra tire next purchase.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have both the Electras and the Fat Franks. I like them both. The Fat Franks require more room so it makes a difference what kind of engine and drive system you're using. The Electras a nice looking and a great price through Amazon. Neither kind is white, but a cream color. The Fat Franks are almost a tan, darker than the Electras.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I believe I have the link somewhere, but can't find it right now. There's an outfit which sells extra wide one piece cranks and also three piece cranks intended for a cruiser type of BB which would normally have a one piece. Their extra wide one piece has a sprocket with a hexagonal keyed hole the crank fits through. If you need more engine room you can switch that sprocket with a 36 hole one and buy some extra vertical space. The three piece version is wider than the one piece extra wide crank. On three builds now I've used the extra wide one piece, but had to get more width yet so bent the pedal arms in a vice. What engine are you using?
SB

halfevil333

May 18, 2010
florida, USA
If you use the motorcycle tire you have to have the motorcycle rim to go with it. It uses a bead that is very different from bicycles. I have been using the Fat Franks and they are ok, but I am not getting a lot of life out of my rear tires. I may have to try the Electra tire next purchase.
HOW YOU BEATIN FRANK UP FOR? frankz goot guy!

-but, seriously, I've had friends put a significant hole in their Schwabbler b4, patch the inside w/goriller tape, and continue riding for some months!!....I know it sounds carzy, but that kevlar is in there for a reason, I guess...

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
HOW YOU BEATIN FRANK UP FOR? frankz goot guy!

-but, seriously, I've had friends put a significant hole in their Schwabbler b4, patch the inside w/goriller tape, and continue riding for some months!!....I know it sounds carzy, but that kevlar is in there for a reason, I guess...
It's not the Kevlar material in the tire that is the weak point for me, it's the rubber. I'm wearing the rubber out of rear tires only due to acceleration and deceleration. The rubber is on the soft side, and that is good for traction but not for wear. I want to try the other brand just to see if the rubber is a little more durable. I'm getting about 300 to 400 miles out of rear Fat Franks. My front Frank has 2200 miles on it and it still looks good. I may in the end just need to keep a supply of new tires hanging in my garage.

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
thanks guys for the information. SB i am running the same engine as cobra, or will be at least, the 6.5 HF engine with the comet CVT. also, i will be getting the cream electra's so i will be able to post the dirt on those tires after i run them down the road a ways.

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
Yes, I have the sealer kit. I don't know if I want to use it in a tire that needs to be placed every 300-400 miles. That is why I want to try the other brand out. The sealant company says it can be added inside a tube though but won't work for the big puntures. Just the small ones. The fluid needs to be replaced every six months and there is no way I'm getting that life out of my rears. My fronts I am.

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I dont know how much Fat Franks are in the US but very dear here in Australia, but new tyres every 300-500 miles would become dear real quick. Come to think of it the rear tyre (those cheap $39 a pair cream vintage balloon tyres on EBay) on my Kroon is wearing fast, and its only a measly 66cc. We obviously need a harder compound tyre.

It got me thinking...... Not that you would want to do it (a lot of atress on running gear), but if you were to accelerate off the line, would your bike just take off quickly or would it smoke the tyre..... just wondering how much power these have?

And if you dont want to run the tyre sealer, you could run (maybe you already did) a downhill mountain bike tube. I run them in my bikes, and along with a good tyre, punctures become an extreme rarity. They are damn thick and heavy though. I run Maxxis downhill tubes.

Last edited:

cobrafreak

Feb 16, 2011
sacramento ca
So what would be a harder rubber very thick and durable 26" balloon tire with street tread. I have given up hope that they come in cream or brown. I may have to settle for a commuting tire and a show/parade tire. I can pick up cream fat franks for $35 US. It's not Terrible, just time consuming. a balls out motorcycle sport tire often wears out in under 4-5k miles

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
Sorry i didnt have a tyre in mind.... just pointing out the obvious about needing a harder compound tyre. I know my tyres have a very soft compound. Shame the fat franks dont come in different compounds, or do they? Doubt it.

I hope those electras have a longer life.... what about thick bricks? Or is it quick bricks?