Very first build this weekend! Tips??

GoldenMotor.com

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
Hey Gang,

I'll be attempting my very first build this weekend and I would like to gather any essentials before the day I start the build. Here is what I have to work with;

49cc boygofast kit (arrives 8.22)
old Holiday cruiser (pics posted soon!)

and here is a prelim. list I found on another thread;

One 8mm Silicone spark plug wire. (should I also get a new plug?)
A tube of Ultra Grey RTV Silicone
A tube of High Strength RED threadlocker.
A small amount of Dielectric Spark Plug grease that locks out moisture and prevents arching.

Any tips for other "must haves" for a first build shoping list? (please be specific)

Thanks!

Last edited:

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
yes to spark plug. many have changed out nuts, bolts and other hardware. the chain can be replaced with #41 and watch that pesky tensioner. good luck mitch

stude13

May 28, 2008
north bend wa.
i would search replacement spark plug and cdi wire. there are many posts about the tensioner. it has been reported that the tensioner twists toward the wheel and can wipe out spokes. i hope this helps. mitch

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
ok cool... B6HS... and the wire, anything specific? how about grease? what other "essentials" should be on my list?

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
So... I recieved my package today and I opened all the boxes to inventory the parts...

NO 44TOOTH SPROCKET!!! NO SPROCKET AT ALL!!!
The Box was "Factory Sealed" as the auction Described, but no sprocket inside! so I emailed the guy ::edit:: (boygofast) ... we'll see what happens! I'll keep you posted.

Last edited:

mralaska

Aug 16, 2008
Deerfield, NH
Congratulations and good luck! Bummer about the missing sprocket. Perhaps you might want to order a sprocket elsewhere in the meantime but make it a different size.

I received my kit last week from bluecollarbike. Initially I slapped it together right from teh box but it did not take long to start gathering clues that every warning I have read is probably true. I have removed it now to do it right before something happens. I am joining this thread to see what comes up that I missed.

Here is a few things I currently have on my (still growing) shopping list:
Zip ties for coil, spokes, cables
double sided tape for under the gas tank
Blue loctite (red loctite can be a problem on these engines)
Gasket material for intake manifold (maybe an O ring for carb to intake)
blue permagasket or spray-a-gasket
1/8" flat aluminum to make spacers under rear mount to move engine to tighten chain and hopefully eliminate tensioner
inline Fuel Filter
inline switch to replace magneto killer switch
blade type wire connectors and shrink tubing
cable lube
sticky grease for gears near clutch
threaded rod to replace every stud on the engine
metric couplers to replace mounting nuts and nuts on head
replacement bolts for sprocket and nylon lock nuts
extra nuts, flat washers, and lock washers
anti-sieze compound for spark plug
extra master links (the cheap one that came with the kit sprung itself already)
order replacement chain and master links (#41 chain possibly, still researching, some say better alternatives exist)
brake cleaner and compressed air to spray out magneto area
hex head bolt, nut, washer to replace bolt that keeps muffler together
flat & round files to dress sprocket and mating surfaces
compact tool kit for roadside repairs
spoke wrench and extra spokes
frisbee or spoke shield from junk bike for engine side sprocket

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
So I spoke to Rick Shi from "boygofast" and he was quite friendly on the phone and asked me to e-mail my address and item number so he could ship my missing 44T sprocket! I was quite surprised by his friendly demeanor and willingness to make it right. Not because I expect people to rip me off, but because the negative feedback on his Ebay profile indicated a strong anti service bent.
I'll keep posted here, we'll see what happens next!! but I won't be ridin' ^5 till next weekend! untill then... :bike2:
BTW...
Thanks to "mralaska" for the encouragment and extensive list!!

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
so... I recieved my 44tooth Sprocket from "boygofast" today! (^)
I guess I truely underestemated the guy. Don"t believe the Hype about the Guy's lack of service. He was very understanding and quick to respond to my missing part. I'll actually be doing the build this weekend.

Should I do a "step-by-step" with Photos? what do you guys think?

by sunday evening I should be ^5

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Glad you got your sprocket :)......Sure! do a step-by-step with photo's we would love to see your build as you go along and I'm sure the photos will be helpful to some.
:ride2:

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
The only way I even convinced my wife to "OK" this project was to lowball the budget and stick as close as possible! Once she rides the bike a little, I'll offer to give it to her if I can build a new one with a Sick bike parts Shifter Kit!!! so.... all in due time(c) ...all in due time (^)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
looks like boygofast.. he is a pretty straight up guy. I'm sure he will send one. If not burn his butt on the feedback that is a glaring customer service error if he won't help.

I should have read page two before I commented... Oh well it gets to stay hope all went well...

Last edited: