My Board-track motorbike

GoldenMotor.com

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
hello all,

im a long time lurker, first time posting

instead of posting during the build i figured id just show you all the end result instead!

it started with a craigslist motor kit already mounted(badly) to a mountain bike with a suspension front fork

from there i got an old western flyer single speed with coaster brake from my grandfathers garage

ive always loved the look of vintage boardtrack cafe style racing motorcycles
and was inspired to make my own

i flipped the handel bars upsidedown and backward, i made a long bannana seat out of memoryfoam and plywood, the seat post is layed back and its a springer.

i had to heavly modify the steering tube to fit my mountain bike suspension fork but i got it to work

with the front fairing and windshield it makes a pretty convincing motorbike which i thought was exactly what i was going for. with a hederless grubee expansion pipe this thing really moves!

comments and questions please and thanks guysbrnot

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
I think the reason why no one has commented here yet is because they aren't sure what to tell you. This is not a board track replica at all. The windshield doesn't fit with the boardie look at all. The frame needs a paint job. The chrome fender needs polished or painted, polishing being the recommended choice. The suspension fork doesn't fit either. Either go back to the fork you had or get a springer fork. Get some curved handlebars. When I say curved, I mean 90 degrees. A vintage leather bicycle seat would definitely complete the look. Right now, it looks like a twelve year old tried to build a motorcycle. The only cool thing about this bike imo is the expansion pipe.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
While I'll agree it's not particularly "boardie" I think it's a perfectly good project in progress that shows innovation and a willingness to experiment. I suspect the "board track look" may be a misnomer, it's looking quite a bit like a cafe racer with the seat & fairing *shrug*

After all, these bikes bring out the "twelve year old" in all of us - if not, if they're taken too seriously - I do believe yer missing the point laff

Billy Thunder

Jul 8, 2010
B.C. Canada
The Western Flyer looks awesome in the first picture, and has great potential to build a boardie /street racer. What I see the the last picture is shocking... yikes...lol.
Whatever makes ya hollar though, I guess.
Not to be totally negative, I see a cool bike similiar to this smiley guy's laff hidden under all that, er... stuff. With the turned down bars and a sprung seat, the bike would look awesome. Oh ya...please turn the stem back around... my eyes hurt.d

Last edited:

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
thanks for the replys, its better than not getting any at all

let me know if i should move the thread to a differnt area

i apologize, i didnt realize that the board track area was for more of a purest form of motorbicycle.

i guess i posted it here because my plan was to have it nolonger look like a bike. and more of a motorcycle

i do not want to polish the fenders
i dont plan to paint it either
i removed a classic bike seat from it because it made it look too much like a bicycle, hence the longer cafe style seat

there was no bike i was trying to copy/replicate

the fairing is in the works, and isnt fixed to the bike, the wood insert is also not attached
i normally ride it like this:

a recent update on my bike:
the rear wheel now has a solid tube
the front wheel now has a whitewall street tire (gained 2-3mph from the mountain bike tire)

the blue part in the other pics was from a pocket bike and will be molded to fit the tank and seat eventually

also got this solar powerd spotlight from harborfreight im going to use as a batteryfree headlight

this was also a budget build
motor kit+parts bike = 90$
westernflyer = free
rear rack =12$
lock tight and spare hardware =10$

sorry for ruffleing feathers!
xct2

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
The bike looks pretty cool in that last pic, without the fairing and windshield. It actually looks more like a boardie now. Cafe racers, boardies, and bobbers are all kinda in the same family. That seat is pretty cool. I wish I could make a seat like that. As far as the paint job and everything, it would look a lot better if it was at least cleaned up a little. If you don't want to paint it, at least wash it. Your bike will get a lot more looks if its cleaned up and sparkling. As much thought as you put into it, you can't tell me you don't want to get some looks.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
I don't think they were picking on you because of the mods you made to your motorbike. They just didn't think it fit the board tracker mold. With the fairing, it looked like a cafe racer.

pocdragon

Apr 30, 2011
RI
has anyone had expierience with a solid tube?

it was 8 bucks for a 24" at wallyworld and to guarrentee never having a flat i think thats a great deal.

i got one of theese from harborfrieght. anyoneuse a solar powered headlight before?

thanks
scott

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Just wanna say, when I scrolled down to see the final picture, I loved it! I like it with the windshield and such. I like the cafe style. I'm very interested in how you made the seat, as well.