Melted/burned shoe laces from exhaust/muffler

GoldenMotor.com

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
Hi... Today, I noticed one of my shoe laces has a slight burn and partially melted, and the only thing i can think of is that it was most probably it touched the muffler or exhaust. So I was wondering if anybody has experienced some similar experience. Have to look for burn/flame resistant shoe laces... :)

Matheneyr3

Jun 4, 2009
Carolinas
Now that you mention it.... I've got a pair of shoes with the tounges out, muffler side one has burns where it flaps around. Think it hits the exhaust when I pedal.
Never did like to tie em tight.

-Richard.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
If you're worried that you might have some type of exhaust clearance issues, try riding in flip flops. At least you'll know for sure.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
That's not a solution for people who run frame-mounts. And don't want a rack mount. Ever. The MaB equation (Simple = Goofy) applies also to rackmounts.

A better solution is to have a velcro strap for your pant legs and watch your feet where you rest. The velco strap might be goofier than a rack mount, but like it, it works :D

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
That's not a solution for people who run frame-mounts. And don't want a rack mount. Ever. The MaB equation (Simple = Goofy) applies also to rackmounts.

A better solution is to have a velcro strap for your pant legs and watch your feet where you rest. The velco strap might be goofier than a rack mount, but like it, it works :D
Ever? A very definitive statement, question is do you have real world experience with rack mounts or just a lot of uninformed opinion?

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
Some people just don't want rack mounts. Ever. It's that simple. Don't cry over those people, that's how they feel :rolleyes:

You know what they say about opinions. And anyway, yours didn't help the OP any.
Well anyway, all my pants and shoes are intact and I don't need Velcro "garters" around the ankles.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Indeed. So you have no real advice to offer an in-framer who does ;)

If one wanted a rack mount, they would get one.
something i learned about kerf in another thread is that he is simply never wrong. ever. you can not have an opinion, because it doesn't matter, because yours is wrong, and his is right, this is always the case because like i said, kerf is never wrong.

simply put it's not worth the time to express your opinion to him, since he's just gonna ignore it.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got the backwards engine set-up, with the exhaust coming out the rear. all of my pants had burn marks which turned into holes after washing, my leg has a nice burn scar from riding in shorts, all my right shoes have burnt heels...

once i wrapped it all up in header wrap i've got no (new) problems, and have an interesting variety of patches on my pantlegs.

on bikes i've built with the front exhaust, the toes of my left shoes would rub now and then, leaving a white streak of rubber to burn off the pipe, and a clean spot on the shoes.

none of this bothers me at all (except the burn, before it healed.)

and btw, i hate rack mounts, too. big ones mounted in the back remind me of outboard motors, and most little ones are slow and goofy looking.

in my opinion, an inframe motor is more appealing to the eye, and i've never seen a rack mounted motor that looks cool whatsoever. i don't think i'd ever build one, but if i did, i'd put a milk crate or something over it so it wouldn't look so ugly. so, also my opinion, to me, a milk crate has more visual appeal than a rack mounted engine.

so there...:)

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
The issue of rack vs frame mount is one of personal preference but as far a performance goes, my 46cc has hit 50 before. I would say that was at least fair performance. Back to the issue at hand, burns are no fun. if you are burning up shoes and pants I would classify that as a design issue. Wrapping in header wrap could help but why not take a tip from the motorcycle crowd and use stand-off heat shields. A metal shield, with a narrow mounting point, that allows air circulation around said shield, will stay appreciably cooler than the exhaust component it's attached to.

kerf

Jun 28, 2010
Birmingham, Al
something i learned about kerf in another thread is that he is simply never wrong. ever. you can not have an opinion, because it doesn't matter, because yours is wrong, and his is right, this is always the case because like i said, kerf is never wrong.

simply put it's not worth the time to express your opinion to him, since he's just gonna ignore it.
Well, lets see, I'm opinionated, hard headed, and can pretty much be a horses a$$. Yep, guess you're spot on.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
The issue of rack vs frame mount is one of personal preference but as far a performance goes, my 46cc has hit 50 before. I would say that was at least fair performance. Back to the issue at hand, burns are no fun. if you are burning up shoes and pants I would classify that as a design issue. Wrapping in header wrap could help but why not take a tip from the motorcycle crowd and use stand-off heat shields. A metal shield, with a narrow mounting point, that allows air circulation around said shield, will stay appreciably cooler than the exhaust component it's attached to.
sounds like what the black cat mufflers have on em, unfortunately the bolts on mine rattled off almost instantly, defeating the purpose. i think all the new grubee exhausts have exactly what you're talking about though.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i made a heat shield on one of my bikes, but the main problem is lack of room. it's a tight route for an exhaust when it's coming out the back, and a heat shield can actually make it worse, just because your leg will always be resting on it. it may not burn, but it'll be warm.

it's not exactly a design flaw, it's just what happens when you start modifying stuff.

you're right about the rack mount. matter of opinion. i see a rack as a more utilitarian option to pedaling. gets you where you're going in the simplest way possible. where as an inframe motor lends itself to customizing, modifying, and is more closely related to motorcycles.