Greyhound kill switch

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd like to wire up the throttle kill switch and am wondering which wires to hook in to I have removed the gas tank, stock muffler, governor apparatus and stock air cleaner. I have also removed the plastic piece which held the on/off switch, but have left the switch itself in place, figuring to secure it to the engine and use it as a master switch. So, someone must have already done this and I'm hoping will share it here. I know not all of you are fond of the kill switch supplied with kit throttles. I've had no trouble with any of mine and am used to having it there to depress at the end of a ride. I like knowing it's there a thumb's reach away for me to kill the engine in an emergency. If you did this, how'd ja do it? Thanks for any help.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Have you tested the switch w/a volt meter to see if it is a switch that shorts the mag.wire electricity like a HT handle bar push button kill switch,,,I know its a off/on switch but could be doing the same thing and then just have to wire to the two switch post

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Don't have a volt meter, so I stick my tongue on the wires and then try to calculate voltage etc. by how rapidly my eyes spin around. This is not a foolproof method however and hurts! So, I thought I'd ask somebody smart who already knows.
SB

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
OK no tougue,,does it un plug ,,if so un plug and see if it still starts,if it does then it is a grounding kill switch,OhOh now how do we stop it ,,,,,

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Until I have everything mounted and hooked up I can't start it. Waiting on the transmission to arrive before finally bolting the engine down in it's final position, so the gas line is not hooked up to the carb and for that matter the throttle isn't hooked up either. I'm trying to get as much else done on it before the transmission comes so that I can finish it and start on another build for a customer, that one using the HS engine which is better documented than the Greyhound. I could shut the motor down using the master switch, but that is in a difficult location to find while riding. I figured it would be safest to wired in the kill switch.
Your suggestions are good ones, however, and if no one comes forward with a simple "attach the --- colored wire to the ...", then I'll have to figure it out which will require actually thinking and some trial and error. I was hoping someone could just tell me ahead of time. Lazy...
SB

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
I hope Jim weighs in on this, as he hooked his up to a Whizzer kill switch. That would require getting a Whizzer throttle control to emulate that set up, but he'd be able to tell you which wires to hook up to.

Hi Silverbear,

One side of the manual switch sould be grounded, and the other side should be connected to a wire going to the magneto [coil]. When the switch is in the off position it shorts a section of the magneto to ground. Conect one wire from the kill switch to the same wire going to the magneto, and ground the other wire [if it has a second wire]. Either switch will now ground the ignition and stop the motor.

Have fun,

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
I just ran the 2 wires from the switch that came on the engine to the 2 connectors on the Whizzer kill switch and throttle assembly. I don't use the switch that came with the motor. Works fine for me so far.

Jim

Buzzard

Jul 9, 2008
Lincoln, NE
Yo Silverbear: The killswitch wire is the black wire that comes off the coil by the sparks plug wire. This is your killswitch wire.
Buzzard

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes, of the two wires coming from the throttle mounted kill button, the one with the (prolly black) connecter lug goes to ground (same as kill switch) and the other wire (prolly red) goes to the black wire that comes from the magneto (rear of engine). I'm sure you'll figure it out quickly.....ohmmeter or not!zpt

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
Why not use the lawn mower idea, use a good electrical switch, mounted conveniantly, then one wire goes to a good earth, and the other to a wire with an eye tag, put on the spark plug underneath that little nut thing, small enough so the spark plug cap goes over the top of it. on my lawn mower, it is just a piece of spring steel from a cylinder head bolt, with a bit of rubber on the end, so you don,t get a shock. then you just press it against the top of the spark plug, it shorts out the plug, shaped and bent close to the plug of course, should be the same principal, works and does no damage, unless you guys no different,

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
I remember a friend's mom gave me a mower about 1960 with that spark plug kill switch beacause ,she said,when she had to shut it off pushing the metal lever ,it would grab her arm and shake it real good( no rubber on that one ) I was 9 - 10 then