Horizontal Engine mounted at an angle?

GoldenMotor.com

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey guys,

I am in the process of building a bike with a 1940's Roadmaster frame that I will be chopping and stretching to get a wheel base of 55" or so. I was planning on putting a 4 stroke engine in it and I originally planned on getting a Lifan vertical 100cc engine to fit in it. However, I need the engine to be at least semi-automatic here in California to be considered a "moped", and the only automatic or semi-automatic engines I can find are the horizontal engines.

My question is, would it be possible to mount the engine at an angle instead of completely horizontal/level? If I could angle the cylinder head up a little bit, it would help fit the 17"-18" long motor into my frame. If the horizontal engines are tilted like this, does it mess up their operation, like oiling and such?

Thanks for the help,

Gilbert

sparrow69

May 12, 2010
Detroit
contact lifan, the case for the 100 vertical, is the same as the case for the 125 and 150 vertical, and I've seen both with the semi auto clutch from their 125 horizontal installed, and neither were custom jobs, they were shipped from the factory that way.

Long story short, order a semi auto clutch from lifan 125 horizontal and install in your 100 vertical.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I'd be cautious rearding the angle of a four-stroke's mounting as you may starve/swamp it's oil supply...

I'm pretty sure Lifan makes a 100ccish vertical auto clutch, but I was lookin' for a 50cc so I'm not really sure. You can check this thread if you've not already lol: http://motorbicycling.com/f37/alternate-4-stroke-engine-list-19630.html, there's a link to Lifan itself in it & everything they make - but you may have trouble finding one stateside. In any case you could give Engines - TBolt USA, LLC a call & see what he knows/has for parts & whatnot, he's been very helpful w/my questions ;)

Last edited:

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Thanks for the suggestions. I contacted T-Bolt USA and was told that the vertical 100cc lifan engines are no longer being imported. So the hunt is still on. I guess it would be easier to just order an EZM kit, but I worry that there just won't be enough power.

I really like the bikes that msrfan has built in the DIY section of this site. The briggs and stratton motors look great, but his modifications are beyond my mechanical ability I'm afraid.

Anyway, still trying to decide on an engine and I can not really start modifying/stretching my frame until I know the dimensions of the engine. So I am at a bit of a standstill. No worries though, I am enjoying this hobby immensely so far.

Thanks guys,

Gilbert