J.C. Higgins Newb Build

GoldenMotor.com

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
My Fiance found a late 50's early 60's J.C.Higgins step throuh that some one was pitchin, so she saved it for me to motorize :) The bike is in decent shape other than flat rotted tires and the rusty rear fender. I 'm planning to kinda blend styles a little bit with this build a mix of board track and cruiser. Being the less than desireable step through style frame I really dont feel to bad taking a hack saw and a welder to it.

I need to figure out how to resize pix so I can show off my free Girly bike lol dance1

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
Thanks man! I haven got a bunch of cash to dump on it so its going to be a time consuming low buck build with a bunch of cheap fabrication but I'll post up pix as i make progress

.weld

Mac

Dec 3, 2009
Maine
I believe Higgins went out of business in 1961. Sears got the rest of thier inventory, can't remember for sure what sears named them.. Frieghtliner or something like that.

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
The badge on the front of the neck says J.C. Higgins but at the bottom of the badge in smaller print it says A sears and roe buck co.

BTW I started bending up the fuel tank its 4 in.wide X 4in. tall X 15in long. Its got a tear drop profile but it will be flatsided.

Attachments

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
Ok so had a little time to tinker with "The Hig" (thats what i think im goin to call it lol) not much is goin on, i got the fuel tank beat in to shape and the sides cut just need to have my friend weld it up, I also flipped the handle bars over its starting to take shape which is good.

I do have a question though, What is the best all around engine for the $$$?

I was initailly looking at the 80cc(66cc) 2stroke kits because they look right for a board tracker

anyone want to pitch in their $0.02 on which motor is best for the reasonable buck?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think the most bang for the buck and a good initiation into building is the 2 stroke china girl kit. You can go really cheap on ebay and take your chances that the engine is OK. I did that several times until I got a dud, no real customer service and stuck with a loser. I decided then that I would deal with a reputable dealer I felt reasonably sure would make good on a bad motor. Two which I have some experience with and would recommend are Pirate Cycles and Dax, both of whom advertise here and value their reputation. A few dollars more initially gives some piece of mind. Think of it as insurance. I have a PK-80 from Pirate which I have heard is a nice engine. I'm looking forward to firing it up for the first time... always a thrill the first time a build comes to life and off you go! Good luck with your build and have fun...
SB

Smokey1981

Jul 9, 2010
kansas city
Thanks S.B. i was leaning towards the 2 stroker from the get go. I think that it would make more power for its size Vs 4 stroke and the morini's are waaaay outta my price range.

.duh.

Last edited: