Picked up a couple of old Schwinns...

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I found a Schwinn cruiser in nice shape at the dump the other day. I'm guessing it is from the 80's? 70's? When did Chicago made Schwinns stop and Schwinn moved overseas?
Chrome is good, I pumped up the tires and road it around. Don't know what I'll do with it, but the price was right.
The other is a 51 Schwinn cruiser, step through frame I bought for $20.00. It's in pretty good shape and will get set aside hoping for a panther frame to come into my life. Parts from this bike could be donors for a panther. I'll remove the skiptooth crank and chain to sell on ebay which should pay for the bike. If no Panther frame materializes I suppose one day I might put a motor on it. One thing to consider on motorizing any step through bike is how low that crossbar goes. On many of the newer bikes it is quite high and would place a motor way up there. You'll notice on this one it is very low which gives a lot of room for mounting a China girl. I think there's plenty of room for a four stroke for that matter.
Next week I'm supposed to go see a guy's sheds which he says are full of old bikes and one shed is just rims. We'll see. He may think everything is worth a fortune and everything may turn out to be newer than what I want. Just because something is rusty doesn't make it old. But you know, there just might be an old straightbar panther frame in the back under those other frames... if I can just pull it out a bit and see it better...
Should be fun.
SB

Attachments

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
82 was the last year for Chicago Schwinns. The easy way to tell is if you see welds where the top & bottom tubes meet the steerer tube? then it's overseas made.
USA Schwinns are fillet brazed in that area.

chainmaker

Jan 19, 2010
Ma USA
Thanks Venice.. besides a marking stamp I was wondering how one would tell. Silverbear, I am also on the hunt for a panther frame. But if You pick up some other decent oldies and want to unload one PM Me.

Cheers
Chainmaker

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
SB you are so lucky. Around here that step though would be $200 in that condition. Right now there's a rusty "Vintage Schwinn from the 80's" that's the exact same bike but not nearly as nice as your dump find (all the chrome is rusty) and the guy wants $150 for it. What amazes me is the prices are pretty constant for this (IMHO) junk but the ads don't stay around for long so somebody has to be buying it.

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
I found a Schwinn cruiser in nice shape at the dump the other day. I'm guessing it is from the 80's? 70's? When did Chicago made Schwinns stop and Schwinn moved overseas?
Chrome is good, I pumped up the tires and road it around. Don't know what I'll do with it, but the price was right.
The other is a 51 Schwinn cruiser, step through frame I bought for $20.00. It's in pretty good shape and will get set aside hoping for a panther frame to come into my life. Parts from this bike could be donors for a panther. I'll remove the skiptooth crank and chain to sell on ebay which should pay for the bike. If no Panther frame materializes I suppose one day I might put a motor on it. One thing to consider on motorizing any step through bike is how low that crossbar goes. On many of the newer bikes it is quite high and would place a motor way up there. You'll notice on this one it is very low which gives a lot of room for mounting a China girl. I think there's plenty of room for a four stroke for that matter.
Next week I'm supposed to go see a guy's sheds which he says are full of old bikes and one shed is just rims. We'll see. He may think everything is worth a fortune and everything may turn out to be newer than what I want. Just because something is rusty doesn't make it old. But you know, there just might be an old straightbar panther frame in the back under those other frames... if I can just pull it out a bit and see it better...
Should be fun.
SB
awsome! its to bad that around here people will get something they think id from the 70's and call it super rare and vintage amd price it at 500....
Sam