push lawnmower engine

GoldenMotor.com

weekend-fun

Jun 21, 2009
San Carlos CA
you would have to mod the carb but if you have a welder and mod the frame, sure.
if not go for a chainsaw,weedeater, or just a briggs motor. Check craigslist

Sam

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You mean flip a lawnmower motor on it's side and put it on a bike? Sure but it won't be long before the bearings burn up from lack or oil. Vert shaft motors shouldn't be run on their sides.

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
lots of people do it with bigger vert motors like from riding mowers for go carts
all you have to do it make an oil slinger and bolt it to the bottom of the rod, rotate carb 90*, and make a mount

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
You can get a Greyhound motor from Harbor Freight when they go on sale for about $80, way easier to do.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I thought the blade in a push mower acted as the fly wheel to some degree and by taking it off you may have timing and performance issues. or was that just a rumor?

corgi1

Aug 13, 2009
KCMO
Well wouldn't that be dangerous turning the motor on its side and spinning the blade around by your crotch:confused:

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
Actually the blade on a lawnmower engine doesn't act as a flywheel the flywheel acts as the flywheel, the blade is the load. It's no different then a horizontal shaft motor except it's designed to have the oil sit on one side of the case with the crank going through it.

Several high end commercial push mowers have a clutch on the blade so that when you let go of the handle the blade stops but the motor keeps running.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
A deck mounted lawn mower engine would be the worlds best rack mount. 4 stroke, low profile and mass produced up the kazoo! (read inexpensive) Would look streamlined and can get one in almost every color. I know it has to be out there but have never been able to find it. Just a right angle drive. Like these; Hub City W300, 10:1 Ratio RIGHT ANGLE DRIVE - eBay (item 360145029273 end time Jul-30-10 08:26:02 PDT)

Browning 1:1 Ratio RIGHT ANGLE DRIVE, 5/8" Shaft on eBay!

New! Bodine 33A 1/8 HP 130v DC 5:1 RA Gearmotor Gearbox

Lincoln

Aug 20, 2009
Nova Scotia, Canada
this is great. I hope you can make this work cuz i have at least 10 lawnmower engines here. I found what they call a worm gear that would re-distribute the power at a 90 degree angle, trouble was it was worth more quids than your average 5 h.p. lengine. As far as creating an oil splasher, as mention earlier in this thread, sounds cool.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Actually the blade on a lawnmower engine doesn't act as a flywheel the flywheel acts as the flywheel, the blade is the load. It's no different then a horizontal shaft motor except it's designed to have the oil sit on one side of the case with the crank going through it.

Several high end commercial push mowers have a clutch on the blade so that when you let go of the handle the blade stops but the motor keeps running.

Something running a to PTO type set up might be different don't know. When I was in high school years back. third year students had to make model how to stuff works type projects for first year students.

What I chose was a lawn mower engine. I took one off the deck , and bolted it to a wooden pedestal for a stand that sat on the floor. Took off the valve cover made and a plexiglass window for it. I drilled holes with a hole saw around the block put windows there too. Then put a piece of plexiglass over the head a little thicker than 1 inch thick.

I used a wroughter to shape out the combustion chamber. I made three heads I stripped out the spark plug cutting threads on two of them. A retired mechanic neibor across the street did my threads for the last one. He used a bit of heat from a cigarette lighter and cut the threads very slowly.

It looked great the head blew out the cork gasket I used and eventually caught on fire. The shop teacher kept that thing for years. They would make a new head for it when they could. When the head was new it was like watching a dimmily lite strobe light. The oil splasher and the valves could be observed through the windows. It never ran right without the blade. Timing was off. That's as far as I got with it graduated at that point.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I suppose one can manipulate the timing playing with breaker point gaps , I don't know never tried. Mine was a 3.5 hp Briggs.

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very cool GH. I was sitting staring at a HF yesterday thinking about making a clear valve cover. Then I thought it would not work. Big time, thanks. Gonna try it. Would look so cool.