Another Colson Build

GoldenMotor.com

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i've got a "rolling chassis" ready to start building up (i like saying "rolling chassis" instead of "bicycle.")

the frame is a late 30's, early 40's Colson Streamliner that i got from a member here, jjstanza.

the rest of the bike parts are from a 1938 Colson Vogue ladies bike i picked up awhile back, and it's basically the same parts for the men's bike of that year, so it's technically "period correct."

i dunno what i'm gonna do for paint, the frame obviously needs to be done, but the rest of the parts are a nice deep burgundy patina (i hate that word,) so i might try to match the frame to the parts, BUT, my 39 24" Colson is the same colour, and i don't really want two more or less identical bikes, but i also don't want to ruin the cool old enamel on the parts, especially the rims.

i have some time to think about it, though, 'cause i'm moving into a house next weekend, and it has a cool air-conditioned workshed in the backyard, which is gonna be my secret laboratory.

i've got some 12g spokes on the way, a front drum hub, and i've got some cool ideas whirling around in my brain, so it's gonna be another bairdco masterpiece...

anyway, here's some starter pics, and as soon as i'm settled in and working on it, i'll update this.

Attachments

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
i've got a "rolling chassis" ready to start building up (i like saying "rolling chassis" instead of "bicycle.")

the frame is a late 30's, early 40's Colson Streamliner that i got from a member here, jjstanza.

the rest of the bike parts are from a 1938 Colson Vogue ladies bike i picked up awhile back, and it's basically the same parts for the men's bike of that year, so it's technically "period correct."

i dunno what i'm gonna do for paint, the frame obviously needs to be done, but the rest of the parts are a nice deep burgundy patina (i hate that word,) so i might try to match the frame to the parts, BUT, my 39 24" Colson is the same colour, and i don't really want two more or less identical bikes, but i also don't want to ruin the cool old enamel on the parts, especially the rims.

i have some time to think about it, though, 'cause i'm moving into a house next weekend, and it has a cool air-conditioned workshed in the backyard, which is gonna be my secret laboratory.

i've got some 12g spokes on the way, a front drum hub, and i've got some cool ideas whirling around in my brain, so it's gonna be another bairdco masterpiece...

anyway, here's some starter pics, and as soon as i'm settled in and working on it, i'll update this.
I dunno what kind of bike I have until I saw your bike. It looks exactly the same frame. Do you think this would be a Colson too?

Attachments

hambro

Dec 22, 2009
Alabama
I love those colson frames Baird, wish I could come across one down here. I keep lookin for now.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Nice man! I gotta coupla questions - do you seek out Colsons specifically, or jus' grab 'em when ya can? Do ya think Colson is one of the best quality vintage bikes or do ya jus' like them/both?

Or is it jus' yer good luck?

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
kevron, looks like a colson to me. as far as i know, they're the only ones to use the "loop-tail" rear end on old vintage bikes. looks like the same frame. they have tons of clearance for the motor chain, too.

BA, i don't actively seek them out, that frame is from that old post where jjstanza needed help identifying his bike, and i bought it from him. i just dig the lines, and Colson made a great looking bike, and they're super-tough, and they have really great geometry as far as steering and comfort. in my opinion, they're the best old bikes i've ridden.

and like silverbear and his elgins, i'm just partial to them. if anymore good ones come my way for the right price, i'm snapping them up. i'd like to eventually make my own frames based on that style, but that's a ways off yet.

only problem with the streamliner style with the curved top tubes is there's not much room for a custom tank, but i've got some ideas to get around that.

one more week and i'll be in my new house, and instead of staring at this bike sitting in the living room of this crap apartment, i'll be working away at it. can't wait...

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
I have some issues on the restoration part of my Colson. I want to restore the fender to its original chrome. But it was heavily painted. Is there some kind of chemical to restore back to chrome? Regarding the wheels maybe I would just by a worksman set up rear and front with drum brakes. Now with the forks, I am torn if I will keep the original or change to springer? If you are in my position would you change to forks or not? My choice of color is Indian Red? Wa da ya think? Any suggestion is appreciated.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Looks like we've got a Colson Brothers build-off going. All right!
Bairdco, I feel for you in your current frustration at not being able to do anything with your build. Good that you're going to have a real work space, air conditioned even! Gotta have a dedicated work space even if it is small... a place to keep the tools in order, a place for parts and to hang frames... a work bench for the vice and power outlet. It doesn't have to be top of the line, but working outside or in a shared space makes things so much harder than they need to be. On that front it looks like next winter I'll have a small building the owner has agreed to let me use as a shop, so that is a very big deal in my small world. This summer I intend to build a poor boy version of the bikeshop at my summer place in Minnesota. No more picnic table work space. I'm dismantling some old roof trusses here which I'm hauling back to Minnesota with me for the frame of the building and will cover roof and walls with used billboard tarp. I did the same here to make a nice woodshed and know that it works well. I'll have an 8 X 16 dirt floored shop for under a hundred bucks. Door and windows will be salvaged. At last a place for the bikes to be under cover. Woo hoo! So, I celebrate your move and your new workshop where some great things will happen, for sure
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
"Colson Brothers build-off"??? :eek:

If you guys are down fer that I think it'd be awesome! ...even tho bairdco builds seem to only take 10min or so :p

Build off or not, moar pix plox o.o

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
kevron, looking at your bike, the front fender isn't original. i don't think they came with chrome fenders, and i know they have "peaked" or "crescent" fenders on them, meaning they've got a sharp crease running along the top.

the rear fender looks like it's actually a front fender, unless it was chopped down.

they used a really good enamel paint back then, and every bike i've seen from that era has painted ones.

your front forks look bent back. you can straighten them if you want. some good bike shops might have the tools, or you can do the poor man's method. spin your bars around so the front wheel's facing backwards, then ride it into a wall a few times 'till it straightens out. not exactly recommended, but it's up to you to decide if they're compromised in strength.

my forks have holes, not slots, so you have to bend them apart to put a wheel in, which, over time, stresses the fork. the bike they came off hasn't been used much since 1940, so mine are in good shape, but they need to be drilled for a larger axle, and i might slot them out, if i can do it without messing them up.

i'd recommend going with some worksman wheels, you can't lose with those.

mine, i'm probably gonna re-lace the rims with 12g. spokes, because i want to keep the New Departure coaster hub, and the front's gonna get a drum, but again, my wheels have no rust at all, the paint and pinstriping is awesome, and they're in beautiful shape.

check out this catalog:Search results from Ohio Memory

i don't really wanna have a build off, i'd rather just build a cool bike for now, and let kevron do the same. i mean, unless some other people unearth colson bikes, then maybe i'd be into it...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
i'm finally in my new house. well, new to me, anyway.

turns out my landlord's son has a blast cabinet and a welder at their house, which is a coupla blocks away, and he offered to strip all the parts i want, plus weld some stuff up for me, no charge.

so i jumped on that, and got the frame and fork stripped.

i re-laced the original 1930's colson wheels, using the original New Departure Coaster brake with the skiptooth sprocket, and the original burgandy rims.

i used Worksman 11g. spokes and their front drum hub, so i had to re-drill the rear hub and the rims from the 15g. holes to 11g.

that's no fun. the hub is hard as steel. i mean, it is steel, and it's plenty hard. killed a few drill bits in the process.

so, the wheels are done, and i'm trying to find a nice dark marroon paint that matches for the frame and everything else.

still don't have the shop fully set-up, but it's comin' along. i got some new ideas for this bike...

oh yeah. Adam, if i wanted to ride "period correct" style with this bike, it wouldn't be vans and the flappy hat. it'd be knickers and a bowtie:)

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm trying to picture you in knickers and a bow tie... I'll reserve judgment until I see a picture, but I have sincere doubts.
Nice deal on frame stripping and welding, how cool is that? I'm glad to hear things are falling into place for you and that you're back to work on your Colson. Those are some serious looking wheels, Baird, a nice marriage of old and new, perfect in fact. I think you have the answer on what to do with a vintage bike to make it roadworthy for a motor. I was thinking about re lacing the 38 Elgin wheel which got damaged in the fire. The hub is fine and actually the rim is. too. It's a mussleman hub and the brake arm says Elgin on it in script. I think I'm going to try following your lead. Good to see you back at work.
SB
SB

jjstanza

Apr 20, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Hi Bairdco, I've been very busy at work lately and just saw your post. Looks like you are on your way to another VERY cool build. I knew I did the right thing selling you that frame, it has found a great home. I'll be watching.

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
thanks, that frame's gonna work perfect for my plans.

it's slow going right now, still gathering parts and setting up my shop, and settling into my house, but i've done some posterboard mock ups for a tank, re-designed the motor mounts to fit the motor where i want it, and where it should be, blueprinting and detailing the motor, designing the exhaust, an intake manifold to fit a vintage dellorto carb i found (i also scored a brand new mikuni for 6 bucks,) and i'm waiting on something, that if it works, i mean, if i can modify it to work, might just be a 3 speed transmission.

can't give out to many details yet, but this bike's gonna be somethin' else...

bairdco

Aug 18, 2009
not too much to report here, but i built some truss rods for the forks and the bike's assembled in an unpainted state, while i'm waiting on 2 motor kits from pirate. i have other plans for those motors, but i need to make custom motor mounts so i need to use one to mock them up.

the motor i had built up for the bike got put on my 24"er after the chain broke and busted the motor mount and the case. i'm probably gonna buy a bottom end from brohsi (a member here) and rebuild that one so i can put it back on the 24 and put the new motor on this bike, 'cause that motor's perfect and ultra fast. well, they both are, actually.

got a Brooks leather seat coming any day now, so it won't have the big ugly (but cushy) cruiser seat on it, and i'm not too fond of the angular looking bars, so i'm searching for some new-old ones, with more of a swept-back, rounded look.

i also scored 2, made in usa, Diamond #41 chains, 10 foot lengths, so hopefully my chain-snappin' days are over. only 16 bucks total on Ebay.

still making up cardboard tanks, but can't come up with anything i like yet. trying to envision something to squeeze every drop of fuel i can outta the small frame space.

anyway, here's a coupla pics. nothing special...

(edit) before i finished typing this, both fed-x and UPS came with my motors and chains:)

Attachments