Did one with a car blower motor.

GoldenMotor.com

TomeTec

Mar 31, 2010
PA
Hi All,

My first modification as an adult resulted a in one speed Schwinn modified into a 10 speed with coaster brakes. Then I added the motor.
I welded a solid 5 speed sprocket onto the Schwinn one speed gear, then spread the frame and stuck it on. I then put a top derailler to take up the chain slack so that the coaster brake would work. Then I switched the front peddle gear into 2 and there's my 10 speed.... Hey, they told me it couldn't be done... so I had to do it.
THEN, I got a used car blower motor from the junk yard and had a small rubber wheel hollowed out by the machine shop so I could thread it onto the motor. I pushed the wheel hard against my tire and left it there because the motor would spin freely when not powered. I then used 2 sponge tech. 12 volt batteries for the power. The bike would only do 8 mph while pulling me on a flat but most importantly it would allow me to peddle easily and get my wind back while peddling with the kids. I could do a steady clip of say 20 mph without using much of my own energy at all. So, a 5 mile trip was then nothing for me because I could switch the motor on as needed. Worked like a charm for a cheap trick.
Next, I'm going to use a skateboard wheel and a small blower... or.....I found out that you can get a hub with bolts on them so that you can attach a gear to a small front hub. I may go that route. Not sure yet. I feel that anything can be bought or made with money... it's the cheap tricks that ring my bell.
TT