Help

GoldenMotor.com

recyclingproperty

Feb 17, 2010
USA
Hey, I'm looking to mount a Ryobi weed wacker motor to the back of my bike. Not sure the best way to go about it. I wanted to do belt drive rather than chain, but needed help in terms of figuring out how to best attach pulleys to the wheel and drive shaft as well as how to best dissengage the belt. Thanks!

diceman2004

Aug 26, 2009
Kitchener , Ontario
my best advice is , read .

theres lots and lots of info and ideas here .

do a forum search on weedwacker and look at what others have done , there are some really nice weedwacker bike setups .

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
By far the easiest thing for a wacker install is some form of friction drive, where a rotating drum against the tire propells you. Even that, usually requires some machining work.
Easier would be to buy a kit where all the engineering is done already. Which is the reason you see very home- built friction drives.
The type of drive system you are thinking about with belt or chain is something I have not seen during the hundreds of hours I have been on the motor bike forums, it is just very difficult and time consuming to do.
Maybe someone somewhere has done it- I wouldn't go that route with that engine.

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
if you can figure out a way to put a pulley on the motor (needs a shaft with one round end and a square end and a bearing support for the round end or the square bit will snap off)then just weld another rim to the regular back rim and use that as a big pulley

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You could mount up a chainsaw and just turn it around and use the clutch bell to drive right on the tire....I've seen it done.

Uber simple.