Engine Whinning

GoldenMotor.com

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Both rear bearings should be lubricated by the grease that is between the output sprocket bearing on the left and the clutch bearing on the right. If you remove the clutch cable adjuster sitting under the carb, you can put some grease in there to lubricate the bearings.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks guys, I never heard of that before. I can't really picture this but I will remove the part mentioned and try the toothpick thing.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You use a toothpick to spread the grease evenly...if you just cram a whole bunch in there, it will get spread around the gear eventually, but it will make a huge mess and end up in the clutch plate.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Good idea on the toothpick - I've been using a chopstick!! :p

The only thing I'll add is - for the clutch gear lube, use a sticky, sticky grease - even boat trailer grease (nasty as it will ever be). I use a homemade grease/tackifier concoction. The main reasons are as BGJ says, the grease will leave rapidly so you won't have lube and will migrate to the clutchy plate and pads.

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
Toytime, just to be clear, what Pablo and BGJ are talking about is actually applying grease to the teeth on the clutch gears. Which should be done. But what I was trying to explain was greasing the ball bearings behind the clutch plate which cannot be seen unless the clutch is completely disassembled. Again, remove your outer clutch plate and there should be 3 small small holes about half way between the center and the teeth. This is where you can grease the little bearings. Both of these areas should be greased.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
Thanks, I understand. I will remove the clutch plate as well as the little clutch cable adjuster under the carb. I just can't picture how the grease will get over to the bearing on the left side (the front sprocket for the chain).
I guess it may sound like I am too worried but the thought of these bearings running dry scares me. As I said above, I always figured that some of the two stroke oil would get in there. One thing is for sure, if I was building these engines, I would have dealt with this issue by providing a grease fitting or even one of those spring loaded caps that allow you to drop a few drops of oil inside like most electric motors have.
I love and use my bike every day and would die without it all because I did not look into this.
I wonder how many users have never even lubed this area and for how long.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You could drill and tap the area where the main shaft goes through and put in a grease ziert shouldn't be a problem but if you take the clutch cable holder out and shoot a little grease in there it should be good to go for quite a while.
Don't get carried away with greasing it. I only greased that area when I first mount the engine new and can watch both sides so I don't over do it. It will not get greased again unless I take it apart for some reason or I just want to play with it for some sick reason and take it apart and clean all the grease out of the shaft and bearings.rotfl