stuck motor old briggs

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Ditto, PB Blaster is awesome stuff and it doesn't explode like WD-40
One time, I sprayed a boatload of WD-40 into the motor/bearings of an old shop vac I had. I put it back on the canister, and let it sit for 20 minutes.

When I turned it on- BOOM! It blew the top right off and dust, crud, and more crud blew every where! Not to mention the fireball, which was spectacular.

HoughMade

Apr 15, 2008
Valparaiso, IN
the best penatraiting oil ive ever used was pb blaster....soak it in it....by the way it might be a blessing....they make bigger cranks and cams for these and ive built these to run alcohol...wapwap...funfun
Another vote for PB Blaster- put in there, let it sit, tap all around the block (vibrates the liquid into tight places), put more in, let it st- work slow. Don't want to scar the bore more than necessary.

dmar836

Jun 23, 2009
KC
One time, I sprayed a boatload of WD-40 into the motor/bearings of an old shop vac I had. I put it back on the canister, and let it sit for 20 minutes.

When I turned it on- BOOM! It blew the top right off and dust, crud, and more crud blew every where! Not to mention the fireball, which was spectacular.
LOL. Great story - sounds like something that I would have done!
Dave
KC

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
the head is already off puting a block if wood over the piston and tapping it isn't a bad idea
i had already thought of doing that after the oil soaked in

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Tapping on the head sounds scary. If the piston won't move and you make it move Scratches on the bore are gonna be worse. Sounds like you gave it lots of lube and let it set. My plan would be to use heat around the cylinder with a propane torch . Keep the lube coming try working it free with patients.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi

Bah, I got that beat.

Years ago I was working for an apartment complex that had no money, resident calls in a work order for their dishwasher making noise, bad motor bearing. Got the covers off, laying on the floor, face right in there with the dishwasher running and I'm soaking the bearings with WD-40. Switch closes to go into a drain cycle and WOOSH!

There went my beard, mustache, eyebrows, etc.

Few years after that my brother calls to tell me he just saw the commercial for PB blaster with the guy using WD-40 in a fire proof suit and he thought of me. laff

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
Tapping on the head sounds scary. If the piston won't move and you make it move Scratches on the bore are gonna be worse. Sounds like you gave it lots of lube and let it set. My plan would be to use heat around the cylinder with a propane torch . Keep the lube coming try working it free with patients.
not planning on making it move far that way the piston has some rust around the cylinder wall
so even moving the piston 1/8" will allow more lube to get around the piston

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Heat expands and contracts back when cold. A artificially heated cylinder wall expands by itself in that since of thinking letting more oil in. The piston will not be as warm in this manner. Rust sounds bad? Wish you luck!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
How about knocking it loose and re-boring then use oversized rings? If it's going to be bad anyway, might as well git 'er done.

MarksA-C

Nov 17, 2009
Wisconsin
It all really depends on how bad its stuck/seized. If it was run out of oil, it could be a lot more than just the cylinder being stuck. If there is any oil in it, drain it all out. Then completely fill the crankcase with 30 weight non-detergent oil. Then fill the cylinder with oil and let it sit. Heat up the cylinder from the outside (Fins) and let the oil soak in. Then after a while, put a piece of wood on the piston and hit it a few hims with a hammer and if it moves, just wiggle it back and forth and it will slowly loosen up.

I've done this to many engines, ones that were stuck from sitting 20+ years or even ones I've siezed by forgetting to add oil. Haven't damaged a cylinder or any parts yet.

Hope that info helps.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado
im a big believer in marvels soak it ,dont force anything as you might break a ring you might try pulling the head and look if the rings are already broke it will be obvious i have soaked some older engines and all the methods described here should work take a wooden handle- 2=2 whatever and tap gently dont force! gently !flight of the pheonix be that guy

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
it's seized from sitting i already have the head pulled can't put any oil in on the top of the piston because it's on TDC
i am going to heat it when i get the time

thefruitgnome

Dec 20, 2008
UK
i used odinary engine oil heated up on a camping stove and poured it in the top of the cylingder, not much use if its at top dead centre though :(

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Use whatever soaking solution you choose. There are many good ones suggested allready on this thread. Drain whatever oil is in the crankcase and refill it with your soaking solution. Turn the engine upside down and let it soak. It will still get to everywhere you want it to get to. (Do it in a drain pan just to avoid a mess.)

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
sorry really haven't done anything else yet was busy with harvest now it's cold out but now that i have time again i will bring it into the garage and plug in the nipco and work on it again
i about forgot about it since i've been so busy
edit-there i went out put it all in a box and brought it in now i'll be more willing to work on it, it's cold out there the thermometer said 5*

Last edited:

motor_head

Dec 18, 2008
iowa
well it's still seized but i got the flywheel off the nut was pretty rusty so then i took off
the coil and points, now i'll soak the block in some rust remover, vinegar and lemon juice works
really well. i finally broke down and got a digital camera so here's some pics

Attachments