"MotorNewsBoy"

GoldenMotor.com

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Thanks mekano. Days must be gettin pretty short this time of year? Stockholm sure is a beautiful city, Gotteburg too.

I road a Honda 750 around Sverige in '97; man that was fun. Got schooled by a guy in an Audi A8 sw. He led me into some twisties and tapped his brakes where he thought I might want to slow down. By the time we were out of the 3 miles or so of curves he was a half mile ahead of me down a straight. Really I'm not that slow!

Ulricehamn has the neatest m/c museum full of stuff you don't see here!

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
nice work! When Im grown I will make a tank that follows the bend of the upper frame. But that is far away, I dont have any skills, equipment for bending or a welder. Just dreaming. I would love to have your tank.
Me 3!

==================================

doubledice

Nov 6, 2009
california
nice looks good!
im surprised the frame isnt bent to s#$% i raise and show pigs over summer and i know how strong they are at just under 280 pounds hahaha

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Got the derailer sorted for the different style dropouts of the Worksman. It's a twist shift 6 but I'll only be using 1-5 unless I bend (crimp) the frame. The customer doesn't want a bunch of gears anyway.

The jackshaft driven chain tensioner is mocked up; I'm gonna drill and tap another hole on the front chain guard bracket that it's mounted to. I may reinforce it more. I'll see when it's bolted up tightly. I'll fab up a chain guard for the remaining 2 brackets. The customer is old school and likes those kinds of things. Drive side chain is on. Still deciding what the drive side guard is going to look like!

The tires were the tipping point as far as finally starting to look like something I think.

Attachments

mekano

Nov 4, 2008
Stockholm, Sweden
Yeah, it's the beginning of the dark days in Sweden again.... It's dark when you go to work and then dark when you go home, a bit depressing actually... In a month it's even darker... Depends on where you live in Sweden. Up north is dark most of the time in winter. On the other hand they have direct sunshine 22 of 24h in summertime...

Fun to talk to a guy "over there" who has been where I live!

I´m going to THIS museum in Stockholm tomorrow!
"Every year has its own theme, this year is Harley-Davidson, one of the motorcycling world's most famous brands. 20 selected motorcycles shown including a pair of rare "Board Track Racers" from the 1910s." http://www.alltomstockholm.se/multimedia/dynamic/00012/DSC_006480_12013c.jpg

Best regards Mekano

Thanks mekano. Days must be gettin pretty short this time of year? Stockholm sure is a beautiful city, Gotteburg too.

I road a Honda 750 around Sverige in '97; man that was fun. Got schooled by a guy in an Audi A8 sw. He led me into some twisties and tapped his brakes where he thought I might want to slow down. By the time we were out of the 3 miles or so of curves he was a half mile ahead of me down a straight. Really I'm not that slow!

Ulricehamn has the neatest m/c museum full of stuff you don't see here!

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
Bill it is a drum hub w/ freewheel. No alteration there. The derailer neede a little alteration so it fits in the dropout which slants down toward the rear instead of the front. The frame requires widening it is not difficult but requires some force. Thanks for the props.

Mekano that museum is gorgeous! have fun. My son is half Swede; grandfather came from Saab Aerospace to work here at Boeing. Last name of Bystrom. I Know a Branfors (spelling?) too also moved here about the same time in the '70's. Anyway get lots of light therapy!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' good TS! You do great work

Yeah, it's the beginning of the dark days in Sweden again.... It's dark when you go to work and then dark when you go home, a bit depressing actually... In a month it's even darker... Depends on where you live in Sweden. Up north is dark most of the time in winter. On the other hand they have direct sunshine 22 of 24h in summertime...

Fun to talk to a guy "over there" who has been where I live!

I´m going to THIS museum in Stockholm tomorrow!
"Every year has its own theme, this year is Harley-Davidson, one of the motorcycling world's most famous brands. 20 selected motorcycles shown including a pair of rare "Board Track Racers" from the 1910s." http://www.alltomstockholm.se/multimedia/dynamic/00012/DSC_006480_12013c.jpg

Best regards Mekano
Not to go OT (LOL, I know) but you should bring your MB Mekano. Timeline - 1900's | Harley-Davidson USA
Pictured is the first Harley, serial #1. 1903 and I think she has peddles.

Attachments

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Bill it is a drum hub w/ freewheel. No alteration there. The derailer neede a little alteration so it fits in the dropout which slants down toward the rear instead of the front. The frame requires widening it is not difficult but requires some force. Thanks for the props.

Mekano that museum is gorgeous! have fun. My son is half Swede; grandfather came from Saab Aerospace to work here at Boeing. Last name of Bystrom. I Know a Branfors (spelling?) too also moved here about the same time in the '70's. Anyway get lots of light therapy!
I had to insert a comment here when I saw the name Bystrom. A Swedish immigrant to Minnesota settled in the area of Tower not far south of Ontario on Lake Vermilion and aroiund ten miles from my home at Eagles Nest Lakes. He was a boat builder by trade. There are still Bystroms in the area. Many years back I bought a rowing canoe made in 1888 built by said immigrant. It was cedar lapstrake and covered in canvas, sixteen feet long with a square stern. Under the rear seat was a slide out drawer for fishing tackle. It was a beautiful boat which I powered with a ten horse Johnson outboard motor, even though it was built before the advent of outboar motors. Along the gunnels hidden under the canvas were perfectly proportioned cork flotation devices built in to the flare of the boat. It flew across the water and planed perfectly. When I registered the boat I said it was a 1888 Bystrom American Flyer. I gave the boat to my brother when I was crippled and thought I was not long for this world as part of my great Give Away in preparation for going home. Foiled that plan I did since I am still waking up every morning and can walk again. The boat is gone now, but the fond memories remain. Thank you Mr. Bystrom.
SB

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So it's been hard to get to this week but Theres a few little goodies to update about. Made a chainguard for the primary and a guard for the clutch!

The steel brackets will all be powdercoated matte black w/ the frame and various periferies. The aluminum guards will be clear anodized after surface prep is finished. Thinking of blasting all the stainless hrdwr to a matte finish. The tank and engine guards and some periferies will be gloss black and I suspect some red, silver, gunmetal or ? could enter into the trim equation.

Will probably remake the tensioner to contact closer to the center of the slack. But it's coming alive!

Attachments

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
BTW, Thanks silverbear. That's an awesome story. My son will pass that story on to his mother, she'll get a kick out of it, as did he.

tyrslider

Sep 26, 2008
RainCity
So its been a week since I've been able to get any work done on it I sent aluminum bits out for black anodizing today. Can't wait to see'em when they return! I'll be ready then for a mock up to dial everything in and prove the design before complete teardown, powdercoat, and paint.

Doktor Puttz

Nov 14, 2009
Florida
Slider...where did you obtain the Lifan motor?
Lifan is da shizzle in Chongquing Airport...huge display of all the latest. In China they have Jet Li as their spokesperson....!

Doc

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
So it's starting to take shape a little more!
tyrslyder,
I was just admiring the photos of your build again and wondering what progress you've made, hoping for some update photos. I was also looking at the neat tank you fabbed and was thinking about a tubular tank for mine back in Minnesota. If it isn't too much trouble I wonder if you can tell me the distance between top tubes and front to back before it tapers. It may sound goofy to someone who wells, but I've been making juice can tanks recently, experimenting for the right one for my 39 elgin in the rustoration thread. I'm picturing one now for my worksman made from soup cans soldered in line and then covered in harness leather. I'd like to make one up while here in Maryland for the winter killing time as winter turns to spring. It might turn out that it looks all wrong, but maybe it won't. You don't know until you try. If you or one of the other worksman paperboy guys can give me those dimensions I'd sure appreciate it. Happy new year!
SB