air in fuel line? help please...

GoldenMotor.com

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
Ok, here's what's happening. I can ride for 10 or so minutes before the fuel in the line gets used up. For some reason, the fuel is not flowing freely from the tank through the fuel filter. I tried changing out the filter and that wasn't the problem. i checked the fuel switch, not the problem either. I can't figure this one out... Any one got any ideas...

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sometimes the cap does not vent properly.

Also, there is a screen inside the tank where the petcock screws in....it can be clogged.

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
i undid the cap a few times so i don't think thats it. when i detach the fuel line from the petcock, fuel flows freely. it's only when i attach the fuel line back to the petcock that the line fills up with air. i'm beginning to think it's the carb, just hoping to get a few ideas before i mess with it.

Last edited:

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
problem fixed... though not quite sure how....

Took carb apart, blew air through every part of the fuel line to make sure nothing was clogged. carb was nice and clean. it wasn't the tank cap either.... who knows, maybe something in the carb was sticking? Any way, problem fixed. maybe she just wanted some attention...reddd

thanks for the suggestions everyone-

Last edited:

metta

Mar 10, 2009
GR/MI
ok, it was the cap not venting properly. The problem fixed itself by way of the fuel line venting at the connection where the line meets the petcock. the leak was so minute i almost didn't catch it, in fact, i couldn't by sight, i could smell the fuel leaking from the line. Upon closer inspection , sure enough, air was escaping from the fuel line at the petcock, letting out a small amount of fuel with it. will have to modify the cap after all. Thanks again to Duane, and Bike Guy Joe-