Question about getting the rpm's higher?

GoldenMotor.com

32oday

Apr 10, 2009
Fort Myers Florida
I have a new motor and it runs great. The only thing I did was to shorten the chain to get rid of tension pully. Personally I think it is a bad design. Anyway my problem is that I choke this thing to get going and then slowly moving the choke down as it gets about half way it seems to run good but not great. As soon as I try to completely remove the choke it cuts out. It is the same thing over & over. Any Suggestions???????:-||:-||:-||

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Try moving the clip on the needle valve, second from the top is where I think I have mine. Its the slide assembly in the top of the carb where the throttle cable attaches. Maybe that will help might need more info tho. Will it Idle at all Is the idle screw adjusted properly that would probly do that. Check first by turning it in.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'd check for air leaks too.

Check the manifold to cylinder gasket and carb to manifold joints.

While you have it apart, use some silicone sealer on the gasket (both sides). Just a thin film.

32oday

Apr 10, 2009
Fort Myers Florida
In the break in period do you need to run the choke just half way or should you be able to take the choke completly off? Wnen I am running this thing 1/2 way choked as soon as I take thge choke off it cuts off.

Sidthekidd11

Mar 5, 2009
ny
this is exactly what happened to me. the problem for me was that the main jet was sitting in the middle of the float so if i were you i would take the bowl off and make sure your jet is attached.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
You should be able to run with the choke completely off.
The choke lever down is off choke
When the lever is pulled up the choke is on.
If the choke lever is down and the engine dies then you will need to take a closer look at the carb.
Like the above posts says, check the main jet and the tube that the main jet is screwed into. you can check the operation of the throttle slide by taking off the air cleaner and you can see the way the choke works with the air cleaner off and working the lever you will see a metal plate go over the opening to the carb that is the choke plate.
If you want you can go to the classic posts I show how to work on the carb and take it apart.
Norman

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
Reading This Thread May Have Just Solved My Problem. My New Diy Cvt Belt Drive Was Sitting Warning Up ( Running Perfect) And Just Stopped Like Someone Shut It Off. We Changed To Two Different Coils And It Would Not Start. It Fired A Couple Times When Choked But Never Started. Yesterday It Was Flooding. We Cleaned The Float Needle And Seat And It Ran Good. Now I Wonder If The Clip Came Off And The Needle Dropped Into The Jet!! I`ll Be Living Large Tomorrow If Thats All It Needs!! Ha Ha I THINK I PREFER THE DIAPHRAM CARBS, IN 30 YRS I HAVE HAD VERY LITTLE TROUBLE WITH CHAINSAW CARBY`S AND THE HAVE A FUEL PUMP BUILT IN. Ron

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I have a new motor and it runs great. The only thing I did was to shorten the chain to get rid of tension pully. Personally I think it is a bad design. Anyway my problem is that I choke this thing to get going and then slowly moving the choke down as it gets about half way it seems to run good but not great. As soon as I try to completely remove the choke it cuts out. It is the same thing over & over. Any Suggestions???????:-||:-||:-||
Two of the bikes that I built had that problem. (They only ran with the choke 1/2 on)
I took the carbs apart & found no obvious problems, or air leaks...
To fix this problem, I carefully drilled the jets on them and they both ran perfect after that!
If you feel you want to try this, Let me know & I will tell you how to drill the jet. (it's very easy)

Last edited: