Won't start when hot!

GoldenMotor.com

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I have a Dax F80 engine with 235 miles. I have a rope pull start and a SBP shifter kit.. The carburetor is a Dellorto SHA. It starts, runs and idles fine when it is cold. After running for a while and it is warmed up, if it dies or I shut it off, it won't start with the rope pull. I can use the pedals (probably spins the engine faster) and it starts right up. I need some help, any ideas?

Thanks, Larry

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
pull starts on the small 2 stroke is known to not spin the motor fast enough. you could replace the return mech and rope and see if that helps but that cost you could prob get a new pull start.

i-paint

May 24, 2008
I can't figure why it starts fine with the rope when it is cold and not when it is hot.

Larry

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Try using just a little choke, even when the engine is warm.

I found that even in the summer, if I shut the bikes off for more than a few minutes, they always started better with a touch of the primer, or a little choke.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I have to agree with Joe. I've found my engines always respond better with a little choke on starts, cold or hot. One cause of hard hot starts can be fuel atomization in the carb and intake. The fuel vapor actually evaporates into a very lean mixture which a little choke, (reduced air) can remedy. Good luck.
Tom