!Kill question!

GoldenMotor.com

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
I did away with the kill switch while trouble shooting.
The method i use to kill the engine is:

Hold in clutch
come to full stop
slowly release clutch until engine dies.

my brother suspected it might not be to good on my clutch, is that true?
if so, is there any safer way of killing it?

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
choke the motor out would be better for the motor and clutch.

Come to a complete stop pull the clutch in and raise the choke lever all the way up. The motor will shut off due to no air.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Either method will work.

I had one bike that I "killed with the clutch" for over a thousand miles with no appreciable wear to the clutch.

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I use the clutch to kill the engine on EVERY bike that I build.
The clutch is still fine on the very first bike built! (the customer still rides it most every day)
I've seen a few problems using the kill buttons.

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I use the choke method currently. Eventually I will put a quality kill switch on...I just haven't gotten around to it.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
What you going to do if your throttle sticks wide open and you have a new person riding it.
Is he or she going to be able to reach down and choke it? While scared!
A kill switch should be on there in my opinion.

MB-Monkey

Nov 19, 2008
Manchester TN USA
i agree with the idea that a working kill switch should be wired in I myself run a kill switch i was just giving an idea of how to kill the motor without using the clutch

brisbane_boy

Oct 26, 2008
Australia Brisbane
Yer on my old bike i had a kill switch wireed it and always worked never found a problem with it.
I think because the clutches on these engines are extreamly tough it woudent hurt em.
just get a kill switch they are cheap as chips and are easy to wire in.

hill climber

Sep 11, 2008
paso robles, california
using the choke not only starvesthe engine for air but floods it making it harder to start next time. i use the clutch or the kill switch, depends on the bike. over 1200 mile using the clutch to kill the engine and never even had to adjust it yet

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
To answer your question Norman- 1. Use the brakes. 2. Never let an inexperience newb ride your bike. 3. make sure the throttle won't "stick wide open". Never had that happen on any vehicle I have ever owned.

Still, a good quality working kill switch is a good idea, the stock crappy one won't do you any good if it doesn't work, or worse, works when it shouldn't.

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
What you going to do if your throttle sticks wide open and you have a new person riding it.
Is he or she going to be able to reach down and choke it? While scared!
A kill switch should be on there in my opinion.
thats why no one rides my bike ;)

HPIAdam

Feb 4, 2009
Arizona
using the choke not only starvesthe engine for air but floods it making it harder to start next time. i use the clutch or the kill switch, depends on the bike. over 1200 mile using the clutch to kill the engine and never even had to adjust it yet
makes sense.
i suppose ill just stick to clutching it