Exhaust

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Your best results will come from going to the main menu, finding motorized bicycle mechanical components, and then selecting "Intake & Exhaust".

Good luck!

Hey! I just noticed you're new. Welcome to the forum!
You may also want introduce yourself, under new members.

Trey

Last edited:

frank66

Jan 15, 2015
canada
try one and post a video. gutting the stock exhaust and adding internal stinger length is a good idea too if you have a welder.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Welcome to the forum, Kurtis.
I personally have no experience with the pipe you linked to but I do build my own exhaust systems with long, extended pipes and the muffler out on the rear similar to that one. I like the sound and they don't seem to negatively impact performance.

It appears to have a flexible inlet which would make routing the exhaust a bit easier than bending pipe but you'll need to find a way to secure that flex section so it doesn't vibrate too much.

Good luck and have fun.

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
It's mostly for ease of mounting. Won't make a huge power difference.
If you buy one, be sure to support it with good solid mounts since the headpipe gives no strength.

HotRodRob

Apr 14, 2013
Western KY
I have one on my 20" cruiser. I chose it for ease of routing and was not looking for any performance gains on that bike.

Once I got it, I kinda regretted it. It's just hideous. The black paint is over sprayed on to the "chrome" muffler. The quality of this pipe is really bad. The exhaust flange was not even close to flat. The hole from the exhaust flange to the flex hose is super tiny and not a smooth path in the least bit. It took a lot of work to try to help it but I couldn't do much. I got the flange flat and used a dremel to try to smooth the header path. I doubt it helped much. The flex pipe on the inside is like a corrugated gas hose. So, that probably doesn't help in the performance department either.

Put it this way I did all the same mods to this motor as a did on my bmx build(which is scary fast). The only difference is the bmx has a sbp shift kit and a sbp expansion chamber exhaust. The cruiser has the flex poo poo pipe and 30t(ratio equal to a 40t on 26") direct drive. There is a huge difference in the two bikes as far as power goes from idle to top speed. The bmx has a noticeable power band from mid to upper rpm's and the cruiser is about the same at all rpm's with a little low end grunt. Which makes since, since longer headers/pipes usually give good low end power but sacrifices top end a little.

They both have r/t carbs and the bmx loves the stock 70 jet that came with the carb and does very little four stroking in the upper range(still breaking in so that may change). The cruiser on the other hand was a blubbering beast with the stock 70 jet. It would four stroke in every rpm range and would limp up to probably around 25 mph max. With the smallest jet I had laying around a #66, it still blubbers quite a bit throughout the rpm range but not as bad as it did(she'll do 29 now). I can't believe it even ran and didn't foul the plug as rich as it was running with the 70 jet.

The tiny header inside diameter really chokes the top end power a lot. It does have nice low end power and is about as quite as a stock exhaust, maybe a tiny bit louder but the sound is behind you so it makes the ride more pleasurable because of that. Those along with ease of mounting where the reasons I chose it for this bike.

Aside from probably needing a 58-62 jet, the cruiser is plenty powerful and will be a lot more once I tune the carb with a smaller jet when the weather gets nicer. In order to help the uglyness, I painted the grey header flange black and used black exhaust wrap on the end half of the pipe up to the muffler. All in all it did exactly what I was expecting it to do. With that said I will not be getting another one in the future. The quality is just way to low for the high price tag it has. It should be a $30-$35 pipe and that is pushing it.

If that sounds like what you need and are fine with the downfalls, the fact that it is easy to install and puts the sound behind you may make it worth it for some. YMMV