Turn Signals with a Sturmey Archer Dynahub

GoldenMotor.com

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Getting the HF79 ready for the summer since my garage doesn't have any heat which means I am at a standstill on restoring the CT200.

I had these old turn signals/tail running light with 2.5 volt bulbs (barely able for a car to see the lights) and a Sturmey Archer front brake/dynamo hub putting out many volts AC, blowing all the bulbs. So, I built a charger box out of a smaller Radio Shack bridge rectifier than we use on our motorcycle restoration projects, a few capacitors to trim the DC voltage and some new 6 volt bulbs ...

Here are the rear running light and turn signals, along with the charger box and batteries to run these lights plus a headlight.

... and with some old parts I didn't need from the bikes I restored, I used an old Honda S90 turn signal switch.

Now all I have to do is come up with an idea for the switch lever. The black plastic switch lever broke off.

Got any ideas what you would use to keep from wearing your fingers out?

Dan

Sep 4, 2012
America's Hi-five
Now all I have to do is come up with an idea for the switch lever. The black plastic switch lever broke off.

Got any ideas what you would use to keep from wearing your fingers out?

Dan
I lost a piece like that once. Its no fun! I found a FF button off of an old car tape deck that fit, it stuck out just a bit more. it was early 90's vintage, wish I could remember the brand of it? kenwood? Anyways, a lot of radios, both car and home that have sliders or real buttons are a good place to start, many have the slot type attachment.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
this is 100 percent exactly what I wanted to do to my Bike, I know that huB dynamos put out 6 volts but is it possible to bump it up to 12 volts so I could run a 12 volt system in this exact same way but perhaps with the addition of a horn?

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
Harumph, set myself on another pipe dream I suspect. I've seen one 12v bottle dynamo, but it was questionable in appearance.

birdmannn101

Oct 23, 2011
Indianapolis, IN
Don't give up. What engine are you running on your bike? You ought to be able to get a 12 volt stator off Ebay that fits a 4 stroker, add a radio shack rectifier (under $6), a 12 volt battery and a battery box off an old junker bike or scooter. That way you can run lights without blowing the bulbs out with that AC power coming off the wheel hub.

If your running an electric engine you might have to read up on connecting an AC hub to it to charge it, if thats what you are planning.

Semaj

Electric Enthusiast
Dec 11, 2014
Austin Tx
all electric all the time Im using a brushless hub motor (Brute II) ;) been some time since I put gas in anything. I wanted the lights horn and extras to all run off a battery and be their own independant system from the rest of the bike so as to not detract from my distance and or power.

of course by extras what I mean is im now toying around with the idea of mounting motorcycle speakers to the handlebars -_-' Then everyone will listen to Gwar with me when Im at the stop lights. do I really want to be that guy?

Back on subject though, I already know that no dynamo or hub is going to charge 72 volt batteries by any meaningfull amount while riding,
This plan would just be for keeping the light (and mayhaps sound ;3 ) battery charged while I ride so I would have one less thing to plug in between rides.