Low voltage horn?

GoldenMotor.com

maxsideburn

Dec 7, 2009
Scott, LA
Okay guys, for my custom Schwinn Meridian trike I'm piecing together and electrical system. Honestly I'd like to go with a simple 3V system since most of it (which consists of LED lights) will run straight off of that without having to use resistors or diodes to bring the power down. On top of that it can be powered by a couple of AA batteries in a battery holder.

I was thinking about doing 6V though, so I could power USB chargers off of it but that's not really a big deal if the 3V system makes it much easier to work with.

Here's my only issue...I cannot seem to find a horn that runs on 3v-6v. I tried using the horn out of my Toyota Yaris with an 8-AA battery holder (so 12v) but I guess it didn't have enough current flow and wouldn't activate it, so unless I go full-on ATV battery for the trike (which I don't want to do because of expense, weight and space) then I can't use a car horn.

I've thought about using Radio Shack piezo buzzers but they don't seem to be very loud.

Is there ANYTHING out there that will make a nice loud horn sound running on 3-6v? Thanks.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Don't know if it makes any differance but the 6 volt that come off the engine is AC and should be rectified to DC. Not really that smart to now but just what has been posted here................Curt

wret

Feb 24, 2014
Maryland
A typical automotive horn draws around 3-5 amps. A scooter horn probably takes about half of that. I believe it would take about 16 AA batteries paired and then in series to produce the voltage and amperage to get a good "honk" from a scooter horn.

You could probably find a decent compact, rechargeable 12v battery to do the job.

If you plan to use the same electrical system for lights, there are lots of cheap LED lights designed for 12v systems with step down resistors built in. You don't have to reinvent that wheel.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Are you going gas or electric for your trike?
I went 36V Lithium Ion electric mid-drive shifters for the four I built and there was plenty of power to run anything I wanted.

I could have went with any horn but used the supplied a 'ting-ting' bells because there are just too darn cool ;-}