Dropping fuel prices and enthusiasm for motorized bike

GoldenMotor.com

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
So has the sudden drop in fuel prices diminished your enthusiasm for your motorized bike?

For me, not at all. I love having one, working on one and the huge grin I get every time I ride one. It just sucks being in the Pacific Northwest. I won't get to ride much for about 4 months. :(

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
I was riding today and almost always someone will ask were did I get that bike, I think these things are just plan fun. Saving gas is just a plus to a long list of reasons I like to ride, build, and the coolnest factor

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
My enthusiasm has gone up. But I think that's because I'm getting antsy to get my bike back together, lol. I won't be able to ride every day for a couple months though, wiht snow on the ground.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
Since I started riding my motorized bike to work gas prices have dropped over $2 per gallon. I'm winning the fight against the oil companies!!!!!! (^)

TexasDav

Aug 19, 2008
Houston
Since I started riding my motorized bike to work gas prices have dropped over $2 per gallon. I'm winning the fight against the oil companies!!!!!! (^)
Yeh they are worried seeing all these bikes on the road, trying to keep us down. Viva the revolution!..fly:bike2:

jasonh

Jun 23, 2008
Longmont, CO
I think if anybody's enthusiasm for these bikes is waning, trash your motor and take 2 months to get a new one, paint the bike, buy accessories, and put it all back together.

You'll pull your hair out waiting to get the last stuff before putting it back together, and you'll have plenty more enthusiasm :)

Jul 22, 2008
Northglenn,Colorado
I filled up my truck the other day and took 20 gallons. Used to be that would have costed me 80 bucks. That night it was just under 30 bucks.
So one time this month I needed to go to Cherry Creek it was a bit cold and I had a touch of the cold so I took the truck. Back when gas was 4 bucks a gallon it was the bike no exceptions.
So there I was in my truck. Turned on the heater. AHHHHhhhhh. Looked under my visors for some MP3's I burned up over a year ago. Oh yea. I like this John Lee Hooker mix.
It was rather nice. And I got there quick!
But then I saw the reasons why driving is not my style. There's the left lane hogger on his cell phone. There's the no turn signal guy that just cut me off. There's that guy in a hurry cutting everyone off just to gain one car length.
This was the kind of stuff that drove me into having to take high blood pressure medicine.
But I don't take it anymore. Why?
Because I don't deal with traffic. I'm not in a hurry.
You can take my truck. But don't even LOOK at my bikes.
Used to be the gas stations have everyone wishing they have one. Sadly,now that gas is affordable again,people seem to turn away. Some even look at you funny like you're crazy.
So what that it's snowing and minus 2 degrees?

thatsdax

Feb 22, 2008
www.thatsdax.com
It is because of riders like us that fuel consumption is down and the price is coming down. I know that the oil Cartel guys now know what to do to drive the price of oil up . They will be implementing their plans soon to drive it back up. Hopefully not back up to the level it was. My own country is doing nothing to produce more energy here at a home, so.... It is a matter of time before prices begin to go up again. I do not think these low prices for gas will last. so.. Keep your MAB's in shape and ready to ride...

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
I think that beyond bringing down the prices of gasoline it shows the general public that there those among them that WILL find a solution and demonstrate it's usefulness. That we're not all SHEEP at the hands of business, government, and the oil companies and if we're faced with hard times we know how to deal with it. (and gasp ! we may even have fun doing it)

Seeing more and more Americans on bicycles (motorized or not) is not what Oil Companies & Auto Makers want to see now. It will communicate the message to all other businesses that, "If they don't have money for cars & fuel how are they going to afford anything else". It's like a "business pecking order".

I think it's interesting when greedy Billionaires get together and commit "Phylo Genocide". (especially if those other countries see them as the "Cowardly Lions of Industry" they are and NATIONALIZE all the factories they have moved over there) Which will likely happen when China finally goes after Taiwan.

donuts31

Nov 9, 2008
Colorado
Fuel prices have never had anything to do with my enthusaism for motorized bikes. For me, its a fun hobby like riding an ATV or snowmobile, not a personal or political statement.

With the installation of a sbp shifter kit, my enthusiam has never been higher!

Unfortunately, the economy, not low gas prices has hit the vendor's and builders pretty hard.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Sort of a triple whammy.

I'm still excited about my bike regardless of fuel and oil prices. But the average curiosity level for all alternate vehicles is down. People are OK with 1.80 fuel when it was $4.00 just a few short weeks ago. I love everyone's spirit - we helped make a difference!!

It's been really cold in some parts. I don't ride much in the cold. I have bad pains and stuff. Call me a whimp. Most people simply aren't on bikes in wet and cold.

The economy. People are holding on to their money. And watching current and future administrations throwing trillions about as if it's Christmas glitter is NOT instilling confidence. (Think Hoover and FDR). As soon as the elected wankers quit experimenting and the **** out of the way, will grow our way out of this mess at a sustainable rate. We do this by growth of small business. Like MB businesses!

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Sunday morning I was where Fox News was reporting a story on the TV about
factions in the mid east trying to make fuel prices go UP AGAIN. The announcer seemed to have a gleen in his eye to report it.

Today I'm hearing on the mainstream news sources that gasoline prices have fallen all they are going to fall. They won't fall any lower. With Christmas right around the corner.......they'll be able to start climbing just as people travel and on thru new years. Whether they go down after new years or stays up so people will get gouged for the second tank of propane or fuel oil for the winter remains to be seen.

21 years ago a character in a movie "Wall Street" named "Gordon Gekko" (played by Michael Douglas) delivered the famous quote:

greed, for lack of a better word, is good

So, do you agree ? Are you glad you toil with motorized bicycles that can get up to 200 mpg now ?

Last edited:

mabman

Oct 4, 2008
In the wind
I predict $3 + gas again by Memorial Day.

How many times have we seen Big Oil raise the prices to the bursting point where folks start to get involved with alternative energy solutions and then back off to the point where folks get back to the fold because those alternatives become $costly$.

The first time I put a motor on a bike (Dimension Edge Techumseh friction on a 700c wheel mtn. bike) was in 2001 before 911 because I thought that when the price of gas went to $2 people would be mad about it enough to go for a cheap and easy alternative. A bunch of folks around were all fired up about doing the right thing, wind energy, hydro, solar, bio fuels, energy efficient housing, the whole shebang. The gov't promised tax breaks for those that got on the bus. Well we all know how that turned out. And I am old enough to remember the "oil crisis" of the 70's too. Same scenario.

But the $4 threshold seemed to open more eyes, mostly because at the same time the economy was under fire too. Well all you have to be is somewhat smart to see that the same fiasco is again afoot. The new regime is supposed to have all kinds of alt energy legislation coming down the pipe and the price of energy will stay low until that little bubble is burst. Wait and see.

In the meantime we should all be forging ahead and gathering our bike buds while we may so to speak and keep creating some real change, not just the type that the Gov't via the MSM is promising.

Lest we forget,
Gas-Price-Cartoon.jpg

eDJ

Jul 8, 2008
Wayne National Forest
Excelent Mabman, I like that Cartoon. People should print that and post it in public places. :p

I've been considering the next house I'd build in this economy, energy crunch,
and alternate source quest.

The Earth Ship house is on my drawing board now for evaluation. All but sustains itself,(at 60 degrees year around on it's own) and is a one floor place since none of us are getting any younger....

Having a high fuel milage vehicle, motorized bikes, and living outside the high tax
areas may be the next plan. Otherwise it's living as an expatriot in some tropical area like Antigua in the Lesser Antilles where I could live in small digs in the winter months and snowbird back to Ohio in the spring. Just need a high speed internet connection is all.

Earthship - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

And of course having a winter environment like the photo below. Yeah, if you can imagine it you can do it.

Attachments