Garbage gear puller tool

GoldenMotor.com

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
So... I've stripped 3 of my gear pullers trying to pull the drive gears off of my motor. 2 on the small one and one on the clutch after I managed to get the small one off. I bought a new one but I'm curious if a better gear puller exists for these. the ones available at canadian tire won't fit between the case and the gear so unless they're ridiculously thin, we have to use a screw puller.

Perhaps someone knows what size the screws on the puller are (all 3) so I can go to a hardware store, buy a giant bolt, hollow it out/drill through it, thread it and stick a smaller bolt in it to simulate the stock gear puller.

EDIT: Any tips would help too, I got some penetrant that the part source guy said may help and I heard heating the gears could help too, but I'm afraid of making the metal softer and just stripping them some more. I'm buying a brand new motor for my other bike and I plan to take it 100% apart to replace bearings and hardware before installing, but it'd be halted by stripped threads.

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Usually the problem is that the tool isn't really screwed in all the way. You need to work the tool in and out until it's in all the way. WD40 helps. You can't usually do it by hand, you have to use wrenches.

Toadmund

Jan 19, 2012
Saint John, New Brunswick, Canada
Usually the problem is that the tool isn't really screwed in all the way. You need to work the tool in and out until it's in all the way. WD40 helps. You can't usually do it by hand, you have to use wrenches.
That may be a small part of the problem, still a POS though.
I have a second chance though, my bro has one I can ruin.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Just like no 2 china girl parts are the same, no 2 puller tools are the same either. I ordered several, and had a few others. Now I have a collection of them. What I do is pick through them to find the best looking one to use. Yeah they're crap, but it is what it is. So far I've never striped one out.

I have resorted to heating the pinion gear with a propane torch, but you have to be careful not the melt the crank seal.

timboellner

Apr 1, 2009
Towson Maryland
Make sure you have the threaded center shaft backed all the way out when you thread the larger outer piece in.

I use anti-seize threading compound on the outer threaded part before running it in.
TiM

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
I have encountered this problem as well .I have three pullers and they all work fine .this is what I found that works .washout the threads with wd-40 in a brass toothbrush .then take a wire brush and clean out the threads on the puller tool .then wash the puller tool in wd-40 with the wire brush again .research tool with paint thinner getting all particles metal off .Kota Polur with wd-40 install it into the gear carefully not cranking it down just snug .and pull your gear of it works fine for me every time the trick is you have to work the tool,before it will work for you .

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I have encountered this problem as well .I have three pullers and they all work fine .this is what I found that works .washout the threads with wd-40 in a brass toothbrush .then take a wire brush and clean out the threads on the puller tool .then wash the puller tool in wd-40 with the wire brush again .research tool with paint thinner getting all particles metal off .Kota Polur with wd-40 install it into the gear carefully not cranking it down just snug .and pull your gear of it works fine for me every time the trick is you have to work the tool,before it will work for you .
In other words you don't just screw the tool in a couple of threads and start yanking. You sometimes have to work at it a little to get the tool all the way in. that's what she said

Sorry

Huffydavidson

STREETRACER/MANUFACTURER
Jan 29, 2012
st.louis,mo.
Dude, my China girl is the farmers daughter . not the ridge machinist daughters Slug metal scratching me bleed out gal. No I'm sorry.laff