clutch return spring

GoldenMotor.com

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
hi guys, has anyone come up with a better clutch return spring? Im thinking of one that might wrap around the lever post and keep tension on the lever. my two springs are shot! im sure there's a better way. Thanks, Joe

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, remove the small spring and throw it away.
Use the larger of the two springs as a heat sheild where the cable comes around the engine.

Lube your cable with motor oil.
Adjust the adjuster on the gear case so it is the same height as the clutch arm. (often overlooked)
Lube the "cam" at the end of the clutch shaft with grease.
Make sure you don't have any sharp bends, and don't fasten the cable housing down too tight.

It should operate with two fingers.

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
Thanks Joe, I'd done all that and it does work fine except than i installed the new clutch actuator from CE and there seems to a small amount of play when released. But in truth it is working fine, i might be getting a little to picky! Just thought a spring with a little more tension might just do it, my clutch is now one fingered! Joe

Rogwillsie

Oct 28, 2008
Seattle, WA
Did I miss something? I removed the small spring expecting the clutch to work a lot easier, it didn't. Does the lubrication make that much difference in the ease of working the clutch? Do you lub on the chain side or the other side?

jacliny

Oct 20, 2008
Ridge,New York
Rog, the big spring goes over the cable sheathing as it passes the engine the small spring is the return spring. Take out the cable and lube the whole cable then reinsert it into the sheath. You can also lube the cluth release shaft by taking off the side cover below the clutch lever and lube with a small amount of grease on the release lever shaft and the pin that enters through the chain sprocket. Holler if you run into a problem.