difference between 410 & 415?

GoldenMotor.com

MitchP

Oct 6, 2012
Santa Rosa, CA
So my #410 is broked and I replaced it with a #415 from BGF and it feeds like 3 or 4 links onto the motor sprocket before it won't anymore. The problem is that the links are longer I do believe. Anyways do I need a new sprocket or a 410 chain? What do I need to run this 415? do the fit differently on the back sprocket as well?

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I think the pitch/length is the same, but the width of the 415 is wider

the 410 is 1/8" and the 415 is then 3/16" or something- you could search it on computer
Beyond that there are different grades with taller or shorter plates, and thinner or thicker plates

If you have a 410 chain sprocket, the 415 should run on it, but not the other way around-
unless you have some width clearance issue with the sprocket cover

a sprocket that fits a 410 should fit a 415- but not necessarily the other way around

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I lost my master link clip on my 415 chain so I replaced it with a Wippermann BMX 1R8 chain I got from my local bicycle shop. It is 1/2 x 1/8 and is one of the strongest BMX chains available. It is nickel coated with reinforced plates. It has a breaking load of 12,500 Newton. It's thinner than the 415 and you can use it as a regular bike chain too, but I found that it runs through my china girl sprocket much smoother than the bulky 415.

rudyauction509

May 8, 2012
Spokane, WA
another thing is that the front link can fall off the tooth and lock up inside the case. That happens to me every time I change my chain. Try taking off the cover, removing the spark plug and using a wrench to turn the nut on the sprocket and thread the chain that way. It works every time for me. Just make sure to turn it clockwise, you don't want to take the nut off. note that the motor will also turn since the clutch arm is removed, that's why you take the spark plug off. to eliminate compression.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
I use HD40 roller chain but I have to grind out the inside of the clutch cover to fit it. Install your chain, then bolt on the clutch cover (loosely) Turn the wheel BY HAND and take the clutch cover back off to see the marks left inside by the chain hitting the cover. Grind it out until it no longer rubs and reinstall. Then enjoy your new HD chain!

Last edited: