GoldenMotor.com

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
As a professional web designer (www.303artwork.com) I find it a little, hmm, weird that only 100 messages are allowed. I think that limit should be at 500 or 1000. I mean a message is just a few kb and everybody can get unlimited webspace for $5/month meanwhile or do you guys have a very outdated provider for the forum server? Im would offer my help if needed.

Also, that header image doesn't look very inviting. I dont have a lot of time, but I would offer you guys to create a better looking banner for the top of the page. Im hosting forums with 100.000+ members myself and thats the first thing I would change so it looks a little better in quality.

Hit me up if you like the idea.

Greetings Chris

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
If you dont agree with the rules, or you dont like the layout of the site, perhaps you should find another forum.
That stuck up comment is so out of place here. Who are you to tell me what forum Im supposed to use? The truth is it looks cheap because its not a good artwork and I offered my help instead of just saying something bad. I gave my feedback as professional in that area and offered my FREE help to make it look better especially compared to the other forums I know but didn't join, so from where you take the right to talk like that to me?

If you are not the creator of the forum? Im pretty sure no.

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i appreciate your offer however i am happy with the looks of the forum. when i was in high school they were just inventing calculators so my computer skills are not all that great but i am learning. my grand-kids helped me with the layout and they are really proud of it as i am of them. people are still using dial up. fastest internet available here on st croix is 1 meg. a lot of times i am lucky to get 500kb. that is why the resolution of the banner and other pictures on the main page have been reduced. i found it more important to have a reasonable download time of the forum for everyone visiting then a high quality banner that slows the loading process down. as far as the personal messages if you need more just ask. i only have a hundred and it takes only a second to clean out the ones i do not want to save and i feel 100 is enough

littletinman

May 15, 2012
Gaithersburg, MD
I love the way the site works and interacts! I've been developing websites and apps for 8 years professionally and I still love the classic forum layouts. They go back to what a forum should be: fast, easy to use, and community driven.

Paul, please don't change the design. I stopped using the other forum because they changed their design and it was confusing, had a lot of glitches, and a lot of my favorite aspects of how the forum worked were lost.

I think forums are not required, and should not be required for a face lift every two years. If you look at massive forums like EvelutionM, they still tote their 2000 design elements.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Yah, I better jump in here! lol

I LIKE the vBulletin program! FAR easier to use and very coherent, compared to some others out there.

There's actually a few forums, with great information, and a swell buncha guys, that I just don't use much, because the software is awkward to navigate...

I shall take a run over and see P's workmanship.. always interesting to look at different things... I think Jim Carey had the wildest website I've seen, so far... it was crazy!

...the vBulletin does provide an option to d/l your messages, if someone would like to archive them on their home storage. or even send it to a cloud, somewhere... that seems to be what they wish all of us would do, these days...

Best
rc

and I'll take this op to say Thank You Paul !

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
agreed,,,
I like the layout here and am happier with fast page-loads vs the resolution of the banner :)

thanks again to Paul, and all the great mods here, for putting up with the rest of us (^)

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Well, I edited my posts so as not to continue a tense conversation/potential argument, but it seems that my opinion is shared by administration as well as other forum members. IMHO, that pretty much settles it.

Predator303

Apr 26, 2012
San Juan, Puerto Rico
i appreciate your offer however i am happy with the looks of the forum. when i was in high school they were just inventing calculators so my computer skills are not all that great but i am learning. my grand-kids helped me with the layout and they are really proud of it as i am of them. people are still using dial up. fastest internet available here on st croix is 1 meg. a lot of times i am lucky to get 500kb. that is why the resolution of the banner and other pictures on the main page have been reduced. i found it more important to have a reasonable download time of the forum for everyone visiting then a high quality banner that slows the loading process down. as far as the personal messages if you need more just ask. i only have a hundred and it takes only a second to clean out the ones i do not want to save and i feel 100 is enough
OK so this is a family project basically and you dont have much of experience with internet and development. Makes more sense now but with some points you are wrong. The banner is 12 kb, so it would be with better design and less compression - a little more but no difference in loading time compared to the rest of the first page alone. I mean, you save on the main banner which is the most important part of the page design wise, but on the other hand you have 21 (!!!!) ad images from which 2 are even flash-media and the size of multiple banners (this one alone is bigger than your banner in size http://motorbicycling.com/images/misc/bbb2.gif), so that really doesn't make any sense your point with the loading time and regarding the banner :)

But anyways, I just wanted to offer my help. I don't have much time to do such things anyways with my business and surfing but I wanted to give something back to the creator of the forum because I found good help here and even new friends.

When it comes to the messages, 100 is too less as limit and they also take almost no webspace, so I would appreciate to set the limit higher because I already lost contacts and important messages because I had to delete to get new ones. That just takes a minute literally (also running vBulletin). the fact that most people here think 100 is enough, doesnt change the fact that for others its not, and since they dont operate the forum (and even have a bad attitude), honestly their opinion dont matter for me. This section of the forum is about feedback and this is mine as user and professional web designer.

Thank you for response and greetings to the other island :)

Last edited:

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
The banner ad you linked is only 13KBs, the main banner was made by a friend, the bike pictured in it is another friend's, the design & layout chosen by the owner of the site and his grandkids...

...and most importantly, the majority of the memberbase is as pleased with the forum as we are - and we do care what they think. Please remember everyone has differing tastes, what is "good" for you may not be so for others.

So, while we thank you for your feedback and your offer - the banner & layout isn't going to be changed anytime soon.

As for the number of messages allowed, Paul said "if you need more just ask" - I would suggest just PMing him a reminder if he hasn't already.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
i say keep her the same, ive grown to love the forum the way she sits, and i personally see no reason to change it. coming here is like hooking back up with an old friend, you both have new stories, but you can both continue your conversation where you left off.

Easy Rider

Santa Cruz Scooter Works
Jan 15, 2008
Nor*Cal
I know it's not the flashiest but the color scheme is easy on my old eyes. I can stay on here for hours with out feeling like I've been interrogated by a bright light.
The other site is too bright for me.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Yes, thanks for the extra messages Paul, mine was always running very full even after copying them then deleting, my box was full again in no time. It should be a little more managable for me with the 250 provided ;)

Cheers