problem with shift kit

GoldenMotor.com

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
so i installed sbp shift kit in my bike and my engine chain locks up in the sproket housing. the chain is 420 size and 15 links like they say in the installation manual. could it be that my chain isnt tight enough or wrong size.

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
ok i solved the engine chain problem with 415 chain. next problem :D the bearing of the engine sproket side keeps falling off its hole. i think i have to put washers bethween the bearings and sprokets or flip the bearings?

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
yeah i solved my bearing problem with some washers. now i need to change my gear ratios. i have 24t and 44t in the chainring and im gonna change 24t to 36t because im not getting any good speed.

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
ok got my gears changed and i took it for a ride. i was changin gear and putting some throttle then i heard KRÄÄÄÄÄ RIKS RAKS JA POKS i stopped the bike and my chain was snapped`n wrapped around the chain ring. i was 90% sure that it was masterlink that failed but it wasnt.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
You have to have a perfectly setup derailleur setup on your bike for the shifter kit. Any mishifts and/or shifting under power and your chain can jump and cause problems. Happened to my brother in law on a DAR ride last year.

Many HT engines run rich on high end and lean on low end or have air leaks. The low lean setting (for whatever reason), causes an engine to take longer to idle down when the throttle is reduced to idle just prior to a shift. This, in essense, is similar to shifting under throttle which puts an extreme burden on the derailleur assembly and increases your risk of the situation that occured to you and countless others....inadvertent powershifting

Also, using cheap shift cables (think stock), shrink and stretch significantly with temperature settings. I use cheapo cables until they fail and always pedal shift my bike thru all the gears on my "preflight" checks and adjust the cable tension via the adjustment on the derailleur to ensure crisp and accurate shifts.

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
now my problem is that the smaller jackshaft sproket keeps coming off and i lost my key so i have to make a new from 5mm sguare bar.

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
I've got a Staton inc shift kit on my auto shift bike. I manually select from the three drives on the front derailleur. The rear seven gears shift automatically. I now have the only bike in the world which can change the rear wheel gears by means of the throttle.

I use the Staton Inc 18.75:1 gearbox. Gearbox to crank is 17:44 ratio. This drives the three chain rings 28, 34 and 42. The rear gears are Shimano 28-14 seven speed. I use the 28 for steep uphills (7+ mph). The 34 level ground (29 mph). The 42 downhill (40+ mph).

With the gears shifting automatically in the rear. I'm always in the lowest gear on take off. The main key to the auto shifting is steady acceleration not full throttle on take off. When switching the front three gears I always let off the throttle and use the peddles. Also when ascending steep hills I let off the gas in order to allow the rear wheel to auto shift into a lower gear and changing into the 28 drive, then up the gas in order to climb. I live in Tennessee so we really have some steep hills.

To conclude the shift kits do come with their bugs. But when you get them worked out shift kits add a whole new level to riding. You can see pictures of my bike by clicking onto my name and viewing my album.

Last edited:

talbotti

Sep 17, 2011
Finland
ok i made a new key from 5mm drill bit, its round but it works :D

i noticed that the other sprokets key is missing too so i have to make another key :d

the engine chains sprokets set screw is so tight and my allen key just slips so i have to drill it out and re thread it to 6mm bolt