Huffy Cranbrook

GoldenMotor.com
I heard so much on this site about the Huffy Cranbrook bicycles that I just had to build one to see how I liked it. I bought the bike new from Walmart for $87 and the engine bolted right up with no problems. I had to cut a notch in the back fender because the chain was rubbing against it but other than that it was a very painless build and very easy, only took two hours. Already have it sold. As I was test driving it for the first time tonight I realized that those stock handlebars are not for me. I'm a large guy and when I ride this bike it's like I'm steering it from my chest almost. Oh well, as long as the buyer likes it then it's all good I guess. Peace :)
...nice looking cranbrook !..I just found my computer adapter cord for my digital camera so I'm gonna upload some pics of my two builds later this morning. My first was a Huffy Cranbrook,..tan like yours,...second was a Huffy Panama Jack. Both with the skyhawk 88cc's. Looking forward to getting some opinions from you all on future builds!,...Great jobs all,...bikes look fantastic!

My first build was a huffy cranbrook. Was an easy build,..and yes the rear fender on mine had to be notched for the drive chain,...but other than that I rode it to and from work for over a year on less than $10.00 in gas!....lol,...That still cracks me up! Darn thing rode smooth as glass. Only had one little problem with a leaking fuel line,...but that wasn't huffy's fault! One note though,...always check your hubs for grease!.....Especially if you buy bikes from Wal-Mart. They occasionally forget to grease the hubs when they assemble some of these bikes!,..Point to ponder.....Peace!

motor_bike_fanatic

Jul 26, 2011
Pennsylvania
I have a cranbrook, but I have a heavy duty custom rim, and I also added a front handbrake. I also found that the tires that come on the cranbrook are too wide for my chain at 2.25 inches. swapped out for a 1.95 inch tire and im good to go. Had this bike for almost two years now, and with regular maintenance, she rides like a dream. not gonna use the cranbrook for my predator bike, though. gonna use an older schwinn cantilever frame.

maurtis

Dec 14, 2011
Kyle, TX
BTW, I do not know if the quality of Cranbrooks actually went up over the past decade or if the guy who made mine was just really hung over, but the welds on my wife's new Huffy Panama Jack are MUCH cleaner and look heavier than my 2002 Cranbrook.

But the welds on my Cranny are really, really bad, so I am thinking it was just an off day... I check for cracks before every ride.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I got the forks from Venice Motor Bikes. I also got the disc brake and white tires there.
Thought about going with springer forks on mine...but with my weight and the weight of the bike...was told I would have more problems unless I went with the front forks you got. Being put on layoff the same time I got all my stuff together and having spent all my refund on what I'd dreamed for for years...might end up doing the front fork next year.

Saw you put the rear brakes on. Did that on my old Huffy build and switched out the front forks for my current Schwinn to the Huffy. The Schwinn had the built-in brakes on the fork...while the Huffy didn't. Worked out great since I put the SA drum on the front and went with the HD freewheel for the rear.

Did you go with the 6 bolt freewheel for the rear or did you use one of the clamshell adapters for the rear?