An Observation, Spring Loaded Chain Tensioner

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I had no idea it would do this. As you may know, I built one of these guys from scrap parts. My sprocket center hole is about 1/2" larger than my hub cap. Also, it's mounted with a raggy joint.

I had the sprocket centered and all the wobble adjusted out of it when I first mounted it. After many miles of joyful riding, the sprocket seems to have moved from that perfect position I had fought so hard for.

I started it up today, on its center stand of course. As I merrily revved the engine I looked at my chain tensioner. It was moving like a child's see-saw. I was shocked, shocked I tell you. But I didn't have time to true it up, so off we went. I could not feel any tightening and loosening of the chain as I would have before my invention turned up.

The bike ran smooth and quiet, just like always. I honestly had no idea it would do what it did. Knowing what I know now, here's what I'd do if I had to start over on this project.

1. Make sure there is plenty of movement for the roller.
2. Use a roller skate wheel (ebay) or a standard bearing idler to guide the chain. NOT a sprocket. I'm concerned that a sprocket won't allow the side to side flexibility we need to keep the chain on the big sprocket. I know that seems contradictory, but it's what I think.
3. Mount the thing so the roller is close to the big sprocket. It's main job is to feed the 'loose' chain on to the big sprocket. So Near is Good.

That's it! After my experience tonight, there's no way I would ride without the spring loaded tensioner. FYI: mine cost me $2.00 at Ace for the spring. Best 2 bucks I have spent in a while.

dance1

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Center your sprocket. I'm glad your tensioner is working for you but,
don't keep relying on the spring to keep the chain running true. In spite of the effectivness of your design if the rear sprocket is not concentric to the hub you're going to have problems eventually.

Tom

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Tom, Thanks for your concern. The sprocket is one again centered. I would never let it run very long off center like that. I just wanted to let people know about something I had discovered about the advantages of spring loading the chain tensioner.

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Thanks for the post, and observations, Fred.
Did you post any pics of it?

Two failures on two short rides using no tensioner, on my Schwinn.
Rag jointed sprocket was concentric and at least OK on the lateral warble... Not great, but it was ok... #41 chain. running with about 1/2" play, top and bottom, at rest.

I've been engineering... sittin' in the ez chair lookin at it for a bit, and I think the axle seems skewed a bit. the chain runs off at the top of the sprocket, no matter where the rotation is.

I don't think tweaking the frame back over a bit is gonna fix it, bit I'll try that next.

All else fails, I'll do like you have suggested and run a spring loaded tensioner. and I'll do like Tom said, and weld the tab onto the chainstay.

Best
rc

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
Where you need to watch it is where the chain goes ON to the big sprocket. Thats where a link will get caught on a tooth, stretch the heck out of things and then come off.

This is my original thread on the subject. There's prettier tensoniers but none that worl better. That grey crap is PC-7 holding a bolt out at the end of the slot.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=38147