Pics of my $7.50 Moon Dog w/ 70cc HT Bicycle Engine

GoldenMotor.com

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN
My old Huffy build described here My motorized bike - Bob Is The Oil Guy. That bike was just plain wore out, no longer worthy of a fine Chinese motor.

Ordered the Moon Dog on Ebay for 107.50 and when the bike arrived it looked like Fedex ran it over, but everything was still their. I'll post pictures of box it came in.

First thing I did was take off the fenders and trade the whitewall tires for Kenda Kross tires, these have a smooth center and knobby sides. (The front fender mount broke after 40 miles of wet weather use, it could have been really bad but it wasn't.)

Second I added the rack, speedometer and figured out the best way to mount the motor.

Third, Got the new 33 tooth rear sprocket back from machining and put everything together.
I was able to Hit 41 mph with a tail wind on level road and 38 mph riding superman style.

I only had one serious problem. It was when the tensioner loosen, causing the chain to bunch up around the output sprocket and catch on housing near the sprocket. This made the back wheel lock up, and trashed the spokes. I was able to rebuild the wheel myself with the help of $25 worth of DT Swiss stainless steel spokes. Also repacked rear bearings while I had the cassette off.

A Lighting system is in the works, I have most of the stuff, it's just figuring out how and where to mount everything.

I'm using Valvoline snowmobile oil at 28:1. It's only $3 a quart a the local gas station. I looked for Citgo air cooled oil because it is JASO FC certified, but could not locate any.

Fedex just surprised my with a $100 check, It must have been the delivery guy who got me that because of how he marked it on his computer.

Vibrations aren't bad at all, full throttle all day, no problem.

Last edited:

ebmvegan

Jul 15, 2008
OC, Ca
Re: Pics of my $7.50 Moon Dog w/ 70cc HT

Cool idea on the motor mount. You may want to add washers on the bolt head side of the plate to disperse the load and a locking washer. The chain looks a little slack but a good looking ride.

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK

Great price ... when I got the Schwinn I have they managed to put the wrong roller bearing cage in which didnt fit and demolished itself in short order..

Didnt get any money off though - although the packaging was in good condition so I guess they had a issue with good service.

Hope you have alot of fun riding it

Jemma xx

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN

Thanks guys/gals, glad you like it.

It's hard to tell but I painted the whole engine.

Cool idea on the motor mount. You may want to add washers on the bolt head side of the plate to disperse the load and a locking washer. The chain looks a little slack but a good looking ride.
I've got locking washers on their, just hard to see. The bolts are a little long so adding regular washer would help. Thanks for reminding me.

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN

The battery is on the rear rack, under the taillight. You can see it in the last picture, it's that shiny black box.

apple101

Aug 29, 2008

Tighten you chain a little bit by sliding your guide to the right. It should barely be able to move.

tylerlough

May 28, 2008
Mishawaka, IN

Yes it is a 12volt 12amp hour rechargeable sealed lead-acid battery. It was $25 shipped from ebay. It is used but came out of a backup power supply so it should have alot of life yet.