Bigger or Smaller Sprockets????? HELP

GoldenMotor.com

bad.hardley

Aug 29, 2011
Portage, IN
All I see are people looking for bigger sprockets for the motor bikes. Wouldn't smaller sprockets make the bike faster and bigger toothed sprocket give you more power?

I want to go faster, how many teeth would someone recommend?

Thank you,
Bad Hardley

PS: I have posted some pics of my motor bike on my profile. I will post more soon.

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I use 40T rear sprockets on all of my personal bikes.
36T sprockets are good for top speed, but you'll lose a lot of 'pulling' power going up hills.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI,

Sprocket size depends on a lot of factors such as : how fast you want to go (anticipated cruise speed), the terrain you are on, your weight, tire size etc..

People on the flats, near sea level, with a larger engine (the so called "80" s), without a lot of need for slow speeds or stop and go riding have done well w/ 27T.

For more mixed types of riding something in the low to mid 30T range could be good...We sell a lot of 36T but overall we sell the most of the 34T sprockets.

Hope this helps you.

Andrew

FWIW - I am in relatively hilly VA, weigh about 156 lbs, ride a mountain bike w/ a dax "80" and a Power Pipe and I am currently running a 36T....I would switch to a smaller sprocket but have not had the time to do so yet......

decoherence

Aug 23, 2010
sebring,fl
i doubt a 12t would fit. it might if you grind out the area between the mag & the gear. then you would have a harder time keeping the mag dry.

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Reactions: BeWill

F_Rod81

Dealer
Jan 1, 2011
Denver, CO
Sorry but a 12T on the front will NOT work.

I run a 34T from Andy and it's great. I have no problems with hills or take off. I have geared my bike for traffic speeds and added mods that compensate for the low-end loss. It just depends what your looking to achieve. A 40T sprocket with the engine dialed in properly should server you just fine. :)

My bike (built for torque, geared for speed)

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Sorry but a 12T on the front will NOT work.

I run a 34T from Andy and it's great. I have no problems with hills or take off. I have geared my bike for traffic speeds and added mods that compensate for the low-end loss. It just depends what your looking to achieve. A 40T sprocket with the engine dialed in properly should server you just fine. :)

My bike (built for torque, geared for speed)
What mods did you use to compensate for low end loss?