OP Cruiser, first build

GoldenMotor.com

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
No apologies needed, I hope this adds to the OP database - :)

Oh yeah, chain hit tire and chain hit chainstay. Tensioner fixed chainstay hit, 26 x 2 tire fixed tire hit.

I violated all the rules with my sprocket mount. I have it dished out and spaced with the 2 thinner steel plates (5 hole / 4 hole) off the spokes. I cut the rubber donuts 5 hole / 4 hole also as they were uneven thinkness. I took the sprocket to a machine shop and had them cut the center hole to 1.53 so it fits perfect and is held concentric by the dust cap on the coaster brake. So good, so far, no problems with wheel / sprocket. The benefit was I didn't have to spend hours tweaking the bolts to keep the sprocket concentric and wobble free, I just torqued up the 9 bolts and that was that. I did have to turn the brake arm over, heat and bend to clear the bolt heads and I also ground a few thou off the tops of the heads.

Yeah, hours and hours...

sketchman

Mar 23, 2011
WV, USA
One more nugget I just found, then. Flipped my sprocket over and still rubbing, so I looked from the top down and saw that the tensioner was causing it. Already tried no tens and that wouldn't work for me.

So, I bent the bracket out and now it's perfect.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Now have Professor Fate's 12g spoke steel wheel on the front to match the one on the back. The caliper brake works much better on the steel wheel as compared to that plastic coated stock rim.

My custom exhaust silencer is doing a fine job reducing the noise and improving the smoothness of the motor.

Haven't had any mechanical problems since I fixed that broken bolt in the motor mount and adjusted the fit so there was no stress.

Yeah, good bike - :)

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Put the Captain's cool seat on and the little round tool bag. It's sweet, very comfy. Changed out the basket to a Wald 3114 which is a nice small cool looking thing with a very good easy to remove design. You just lift the handle and it unlocks. Very cool for the grocery store. You can just fill it up and not have to worry about having too much stuff.

And last but not least the clutch roller that reduces lever pull by 50% - :)

Now that I have this thing quieter and easier to use and it hasn't broken down in a long time I am starting to like it more.