Belt Exploded on CVT...

GoldenMotor.com

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Heres what happened after I went for my first speed run. This was about the third ride .i did 2 shake down runs then I really layed into it was going about 50
when I felt this hard slapping on the bottom of my thigh I quickly raised my leg the best I could at 50 mph hoping it wouldnt lock up completly up on me didnt feel like crashing..Flex...

Attachments

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
WOOF! Nasty... You shall forevermore be known as "SPANKY" laff Glad you didnt get bucked off. Now put a shroud on that thang.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Had my Felt racer up to 57.5mph today......runnin' like a champ! Sorry to hear of your woes, my first belt did the same thing only it went into the j-shaft and locked up the rear wheel tight. Skidded on a brand new Hookworm for thirty feet and made a nice flat spot on it. Ya live, ya learn.

dnut

James912

Apr 12, 2011
Florida
That is a BIG reason why you shouldn't go anywhere near that fast on a bicycle. A bicycle is not meant to go 30 cuz u aint gonna look nice when something break/snaps and you go rollin'. When u stop rolling there wouldn't be much left of ya. You'd be splattered all over the place. A bicycle is made without any safety hardware/roll bar etc cuz it aint meant to go speeds that if your crash, you'll die on impact or from the trauma. But, its your life to risk.

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Scotto and Jeff Ok do you guys know why the first belt went? I think i know what happened to yours scotto Shane mentioned something to me about alignment and respacing. and Jeff was yours because of your gearing.
also Shane mentioned that his had a little wear already. Heres a crazy thought
I wonder if the pulleys have to wear in I know they look smooth but maybe
the little bit of the protective coating and a little bit of machining makes it rough
not to the eye but to the touch if you feel it after its wore in its like polished feeling supper smooth so maybe that little bit is enough to F.... up the first belt
Maybe they should supply you with 2 belts one to wear in and one to use for real......Flex....

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It's really hard too say what happened as I had the pulleys aligned perfect at first, which means I had to add spacers to the crankshaft. Now I have it offest by an 1/8" (closer to the engine) and it's working fine so far.

Good luck.....see you at the race?

dnut

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Well maybe I was right my second belt was perfect at the race no frays no wear
so the polished pulleys were flawless on belt. But by the end of the unlimited race
my front pulley was stuck open and it was in the highest ratio thats why magrider got by me if that didnt happen no way. mag you are a super smooth
rider hopefully after a few more races I could .scratch that I could never be as smooth. But I sure have fun..Now I have to figure out why this piece of ----stoped working probally springs got to hot and failed .also scotto mentioned
something about not reving with no load on it and I think I did that at least three times in my garage when I first started it . I did not know. But it seems to me the manufacture should give you two belts or polish the darn pulleys and they should definetly give you better springs. Even agk blew a belt and locked up at 40 have you ever seen a birds nested fishing reel well I'll say no more.
at least that will never happen again except next race the springs will go.
Oh well live and learn luckly everybody that has locked up did not go down .
all I can say if your belt or anything locks up your back wheel at high speed just go straight and defently dont panic use your front brake to slow you down faster. And all should be well.....Flex...

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hey Scotto
was wondering if you could give me the link for the cvt springs all I can find is complete units spring and that clutch piece but nobody has springs alone.
Thanks Flex............