1960's STOKVIS 'Stick Fish' (Dutch)

GoldenMotor.com

NEAT TIMES

May 28, 2008
PENSACOLA, FL
SB Nice find. Now you have another new project
I`m wondering how many of those units were sold total. I remember seeing them advertised and drooling over 60 years ago. Then there is the Solex? sold overseas.

Just about time to load the Jeep for your yearly migration. Do you look forward to that?

NT

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
heh - I figured ya'd notice the conspicuous silence sooner or later :D

Actually, I've inadvertently paused that project for the time being - part of it's because I came to the conclusion I like it enough that I'm not going to just "slap it together" & I'm going to clean things up a bit more than I initially planned...

The other part of it is ofc as the season draws to a close there's sights to see & miles to be rode, pounding the bejabbers out of my poor Rollfast I've been averaging 70-150 miles or so on the weekends and a random but significant amount on the weekdays as well, which doesn't leave much time or energy for other bikes sad to say.

All too soon the long, cold dark will be upon us again, when projects like the 'Fish will be the only hope of sanity :p

Glad to hear ya rescued a poor unloved Spirit, I've a feeling it'll not sit forgotten on your shelf for long ;)

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Ron,
I believe they sold a total of just over 1.2 bazillion of them. That's what I heard anyway. (Of course I hear voices in my head all the time and you can't trust everything you hear.) They sold a lot of them anyway. I believe the design for that Tanaka motor pre-dates WWII.
The fall migration is being postponed to more what it would have been without the Delaware rally on the 18th of September. I had wanted to leave in time for that, but too many loose ends need tying up here and I have scrapped the idea of hauling the covered bike trailer across country... need to baby that sweet old Cherokee, so just one bike is going. (Well, maybe two...) I still have bike parts on the way for both the Worksman and Panther builds. The Worksman will stay here and the Panther will go with me on a motorcycle rack on the back of the Cherokee. 34 Elgin may get strapped to the roof. Got to have a winter project...
Barely, I know what you mean about building getting set aside for other things. Best of course is lots of riding, but in my case it is to finish up other projects. The bike hauler trailer is done, but needs to be lowered about six inches. I made a bike shed/garage deal from a screen house frame my brother gave me and that is now about done and I've been working on the bike workshop space in an old travel trailer. Just yesterday I made a workbench from an old door which sits in the middle of the room. With a bike on it supported from the ceiling I can walk all around it and work standing up... such luxury. The bug motor will sit on a shelf until there is a suitable bike for it, although I'm thinking about a Schwinn Corvette step through middleweight I found at the dump this summer with a three speed Bendix hub. That would make a nice rider for pedaling with motor assist. On the other hand if a mens 3 speed skinny tire bike appeared in my life I might go that way with a hanging cylindrical tank on it like you're doing. A nice old Schwinn or Raleigh would be about the right time period. Yours will be done before I ever start on mine. It will be a fun bike to ride, I imagine, your flying fish...
SB

bigbadbeemer

Oct 15, 2010
Westdorpe, the Netherlands
Hi guys, just new here and I just read the post about the stokvis. I live in the Netherlands and it's a pretty common bike around here. BarelyAWake; if you ever have any trouble finding parts for the bike, let me know. I have a friend who has an old bike shop wich has been the family business for the last 80 years. He has a HUGE storage space packed with lots of old bike parts. And yes, stokvis bikes are awesome

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Sweet - thanks beemer & welcome to the place (^)

TBH the stokvis is not only so ruggedly built but actually this 'un has seen so little use that the only damaged bits are the paint and the soft covers for the wheel & chain guards, & that's just from age. So fortunately I don't actually need to replace anythin' cept the tires ofc, I'll prolly make my own covers - but thanks again for the offer, I'll defo keep it in mind!

At first I was jut gonna "slap it together" & go - but after pedaling it around a bit and then seein' how cool the the 'Bug looked on the front I rethought the plan, I'm gonna take my time & go through all the lil details and make her right... it's just too nifty a bike to shortcut on.

Ofc, at this point I'ma lil distracted with my taddy project - but once I get to fabricating stuff for the taddy I know full well I'll get frustrated & tinkerin' on the stokvis will be just the distraction & change of pace I'll need ;)

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Wow - that "Camel bike" is a sweet lookin' ride, thanks for the link man!

The original soft cover for the chainguard was tattered and damaged enough I had to remove it - but intact & simple enough to use as a pattern to make another even with my mediocre at best sewing skills lol... tho TBH I kinda hate to hide it's kinda groovy chainring *shrug*

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Sweet - thanks beemer & welcome to the place (^)

TBH the stokvis is not only so ruggedly built but actually this 'un has seen so little use that the only damaged bits are the paint and the soft covers for the wheel & chain guards, & that's just from age. So fortunately I don't actually need to replace anythin' cept the tires ofc, I'll prolly make my own covers - but thanks again for the offer, I'll defo keep it in mind!

At first I was jut gonna "slap it together" & go - but after pedaling it around a bit and then seein' how cool the the 'Bug looked on the front I rethought the plan, I'm gonna take my time & go through all the lil details and make her right... it's just too nifty a bike to shortcut on.

Ofc, at this point I'ma lil distracted with my taddy project - but once I get to fabricating stuff for the taddy I know full well I'll get frustrated & tinkerin' on the stokvis will be just the distraction & change of pace I'll need ;)
Post more pics as you work on her. I've been getting kinda attached to this nice old bike, and I've become a follower of the FishStick.

Hello to You and all readers of this post,
I was browsing the net looking for a dutch bike sold in Denmark - called 'Batavus' - (will ride again after 43 years pause), when I stumbled upon Your post. - I have a litte story to tell:

My auntie's husband worked for STOKVIS as an mechanic in Rotterdam right up to the time of closing down the factory in 68. -So, my mother being dutch took us- her children to visit her family a number of times during the middle 50.ties and the last time in 1968. That meant my uncle Jan was laid off and spent several years there after caring for the family's bikes - Stokvis, naturally. I remember him taking me and my kid brother on his bike - a spitting image of yours - to the market shopping for this and that. I sat on the luggage carrier behind him and my brother had a 'saddle' not looking so different from the ones you would find on the old Massey Ferguson tractor (the little grey one) - mounted on the vertical bar. - We went to buy roasted peanuts in winter. Very cosy! - If you like I can contact my nephews (uncle Jan's sons) and ask them whether they would be willing to fill you in with more info. The bike I'm buing is a Batavus(.com!) classic model. - Thank's for Your patience and have a nice day all of you...

Erik Joost from Denmark/Holland.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Thank you for joining to sharing your story erikjoost, now I value my ol' Stokvis even more :D

Best of luck finding a Batavus, when you do - please post pics if you wish ;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Hello to You and all readers of this post,
I was browsing the net looking for a dutch bike sold in Denmark - called 'Batavus' - (will ride again after 43 years pause), when I stumbled upon Your post. - I have a litte story to tell:

My auntie's husband worked for STOKVIS as an mechanic in Rotterdam right up to the time of closing down the factory in 68. -So, my mother being dutch took us- her children to visit her family a number of times during the middle 50.ties and the last time in 1968. That meant my uncle Jan was laid off and spent several years there after caring for the family's bikes - Stokvis, naturally. I remember him taking me and my kid brother on his bike - a spitting image of yours - to the market shopping for this and that. I sat on the luggage carrier behind him and my brother had a 'saddle' not looking so different from the ones you would find on the old Massey Ferguson tractor (the little grey one) - mounted on the vertical bar. - We went to buy roasted peanuts in winter. Very cosy! - If you like I can contact my nephews (uncle Jan's sons) and ask them whether they would be willing to fill you in with more info. The bike I'm buing is a Batavus(.com!) classic model. - Thank's for Your patience and have a nice day all of you...

Erik Joost from Denmark/Holland.
Welcome to the forum, Erik.
And thank you for sharing your story, giving us a glimpse of childhood life in Holland. I know that you Dutchmen are great lovers of bicycles and mopeds. Your English is wonderful, by the way!
SB