Ez motorbike q-matic troubles, please help!

GoldenMotor.com

Kline's Kustoms

Feb 13, 2011
Fullerton, CA
Those look like some much needed improvements that have been mentioned a while back by my friend up there bimoped. Should of did this a while ago. I just put my new "stock" belt and new tensioner design supplied by EZM. I was running a different style belt for the past year and had some success with it. I am actually pretty impressed with how quiet it is. My cruising speed used to be 33mph, now it's cruising at 34mph. More pick up in the bottom end also. If it took 7 tries to get it right then so be it.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
Also, you should get a bolt and washer to screw into the end of the driveshaft to make sure the front pulley doesn't pull loose.
Forgot to mention that the bolt taken off the POS Grubee assembly is sitting on top of the engine and is going to be put on when we finish up with the little things left to do.

Thanks for noticing that!

johnnyo1957

Aug 21, 2010
Gainesville Fl.
I bought an Ez-motorbike q-matic kit 4 stroke kit from Motorized Bike | Motorized Bicycle | Motorized Bicycle
and i'm here over a month later with no kit.

This dealer has not returned any of my phone calls or emails, in fact several of the email addresses given on the website were either fake or deleted accounts.

The dealer's name is Robert Mathias and he operates out of hobe sound florida, and at the time of my order was a registered dealer on EZ MOTORBIKE COMPANY
but has in the past week been removed from their directory.

I've been working for weeks now trying to figure this out and i'm getting to the end of my rope. It is looking like i'll probably have to make a call to the local station in Florida but if anyone has any information they think would help me I would so appreciate it,

Thanks
This guy from hobe sound Fl. should be reported to the B.B.B. I had the same problem. Sent him the money to build a custom bike then never heard from him, never answered my phone calls and never delivered the bike. I had to file a claim through paypal to get my money back. Lets hope we can get the word out to put this guy out of bussiness.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE
I've been researching these trannys for awhile...

One thing kept me from purchasing is the possibility of cruddy dealers pinching my hard earned dough. I have a couple questions seeing the Nebraska dealer in Lincoln no longer deals these.

1) How easy is it to get replacement belts

2) I am about 245LBS what should i expect with a HS engine hauling my ass? MPH. and fuel economy.

3) Do these things improve performance on hills? largest incline is about a 26 deg I dont mean to be obtuse or anything ;')

4) Who exactly is a reputable dealer for these bad baby's?
a: they accept paypal
b: dont have a fly by night feel to their online shop.
c: Good customer satisfaction rating.

phoobarnvaz

Oct 28, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
I've been researching these trannys for awhile...

One thing kept me from purchasing is the possibility of cruddy dealers pinching my hard earned dough. I have a couple questions seeing the Nebraska dealer in Lincoln no longer deals these.
I've only dealt with about 3-4 dealers with my MB parts. All of them...Dax/Blow by U/Bicycle Engines/Sick will always either return my phone call in less than 2 hours or I can talk directly to them. Any email sent to Dax and Terry is usually answered that same evening...even if I send it after 8 PM. Bicycle Engines and Sick will call/email you the next day.

1) How easy is it to get replacement belts
Never had to get any parts for the EZMatic. As for the belt...it's an AX-25. You should be able to get from any lawnmower dealer. If I remember right...I looked online at the belt and it was less than $4.00 US.

The rest of the parts are all metal.

The one thing you will need to upgrade to before even ordering is a #41 chain with Master Links. Anything smaller...such as a #410/415 till not fit the drive sprocket. It's available at any lawnmower dealer or online.

As for parts you all ready have...make sure you hold onto the key holding on your clutch to the 5/8 shaft. The one I got from Quinton was too big...so we needed to use the one which came on the engine originally. Not a problem.

2) I am about 245LBS what should i expect with a HS engine hauling my ass? MPH. and fuel economy.
I weigh right around 300 Lbs and the clutch on the EZMatic will allow me to start riding as soon as I get on. It's got over 400 miles on the transmission since the middle of March. Recently...being doing a changeover to a new frame...so I've been driving or hoofing it the past 3-4 weeks.

As for fuel economy...I usually put in $1.00 of 91 octane in a crowded gas station probably twice a week. Just love the look I get from these farmers with their full-sized pickups spending $80-100 a week. This is how I get off & to do it with others who also ride is priceless!

3) Do these things improve performance on hills? largest incline is about a 26 deg I dont mean to be obtuse or anything ;')
The most important thing about the EZMatic is make sure you have AT LEAST a 56 tooth sprocket. This is the minimum that Quinton designed to be used with the EZMatic.

As for hills...the more teeth...the better the hill climbing ability. Myself...I'm running a stock 56 after being lazy and not replacing the 44 from an old 2-stroke I used to have. The difference is like night and day. I can climb small hills all day long...but anything over 5-6% is going to have trouble climbing...no matter how many teeth you have. The reason is the power. I want to climb a grade over 5-6%...I get the car or a motorcycle. The reason is these MB's were never designed to replace a vehicle with more horsepower. 49-66 cc has only so much power available and climbing steep hills was not something they were really designed to do. That's why I grab the car or motorcycle.

4) Who exactly is a reputable dealer for these bad baby's?
a: they accept paypal
b: dont have a fly by night feel to their online shop.
c: Good customer satisfaction rating.
I have not bought anything from Dax...but friends have and I would have no problem with anything he sells.
Bicycle Engines is located up the road from me in Montana and have always sold me decent stuff at a decent price. The only bad thing I can say about them is not their fault on not being able to get in some parts from China due to work stoppages or parts shortages. This is why I didn't order the Grubee belt drive from him...because of being out of stock on some of the Chinese parts.
Blow by U has a great selection...gets me whatever I order quickly and I will be dealing with him again. The reason is he usually has the parts in stock or can get them for you.

Terry at Blow by U will send you an invoice through PayPal when you let him know you want something. Think Dax does the same thing...but not sure. Bicycle Engines takes all your US based credit cards. Not sure about Sick since I haven't ordered from them.

All of these guys are fantastic. For more information...there is another forum which lists what people say about vendors. Been so long since I've seen it...not sure if it's still up with these listings.

Sep 7, 2008
Omaha,NE

Fossil

Mar 15, 2008
Guthriesville Pa
Output shaft size is 5/8". The RPM range is up to 7500rpm's. The Torq-A-Verter requires a pretty fair amount of power to operate. I don't know if the HS engine has enough a$$ to operate it efficiently. The HS engine revs very high. The Torq-A-Verter will try to shift into high before the engine is in it's power band. The one I have on a 6.5hp engine shifts right at 3600rpm's. I'm not sure the HS will have enough power at that low rpm range.
Good luck and let us know how you make out. I would love to be proved wrong because that would be a neat combination although it would be pretty heavy. The Torq-A-Verter weighs almost as much as the HS engine.

Jim