1933 Elgin Mock-Up

GoldenMotor.com

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
So what happens when you have a day off, bored and a few random bikes and parts laying? You see what fits!

I bought the Elgin frame a few weeks ago for $30. Since there were very few parts left on it, I've decided to go with a "vintage" style build with modern components.

I had my Giant STP2 dirt jumper sitting in the corner collecting dust. I figured the fork would look great on this frame, so after a little cleaning out of the head tube, it slid right in! I need to sort the bearings out, as well as add another shim. This fork will allow me to run either V brake setup or disc. Disc will be in the build at later date. I also plan to cut the internal springs and tubes on the fork to lower it down a bit in order to level the stance out.

I started a mock-up of the tank as well. I need to pull the template apart and do some measuring to produce the more accurate final schematic for sheet metal.

Unfortunately, I'm gonna ditch the skip-tooth setup as well. Just too costly to replace the chain and rear cog, especially if it's not going to be a restoration peddle bike.

I'm also torn on the finishing department. I'm not sure I'm really into the whole "ratty" patina thing anymore. I'd like to make it be lean, clean and mean. Thinking about an Army grey-green.

Stay tuned for more as the build goes along! Looks like the Cranbrook build may go to the wife! She loves that bike anyways! Guess I should finish it first!

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Ya, it's definitely not "period correct" But I want to do something different, ya know. It'd be easy enough to just buy a springer fork, just the right bars and have a bike that looks similar to other board trackers. I'm hoping to add a bit of personality to this one. Really inspired by what the crew over at Imperial does.

Last edited:

harry76

Apr 16, 2011
Brisbane, Australia
I wonder what black rubber bootys over the inner (upper) fork leg, like you see on older bikes.... just a thought.

Itll look a lot better when you lower the fork. The fork on mine has adjustable travel, that would have made it easier. What forks are they? Cant see what it looks like lowered. And should make for a comfy ride.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I think it looks good and am also now using moped forks on a couple of vintage builds, one of which is a 1934 Elgin step through. I'm using a Tomos suspension fork on it (with the ribbed rubber booties) and like mine very much. No, not period correct just as your 33 is not correct for a board track racer, but so what? I'm getting to where I just like things that are in the spirit of very early motorcycles, but which I want to ride... I'll take a good suspension fork any day over a Monarch or Schwinn Springer for the ride. I have a killer Suzuki fork on a 50 Panther which looks great and rides like a dream come true... you can have your correct Monarch. The moped stuff was made stout and intended to go 30+ mph. I say we have enough board track racers... but not enough kind of free form early looking motorbikes. I say use what you want and make it your ride. Some would cringe that a 34 Elgin would be getting a shift kit and expansion exhaust... let'm cringe.
As I told a friend, when your bike was made in the thirties you don't need to worry about making it look old. It is old. Now it's time to turn it into a great ride. Here's the Elgin I'm working on and hope to have done by the end of the summer. I'll do a thread on it eventually, but have other things to work on right now.
Your bike already looks great... keep going!
SB

Attachments

tomgndallas

Sep 19, 2010
Dallas, TX
Ya, it's definitely not "period correct" But I want to do something different, ya know. It'd be easy enough to just buy a springer fork, just the right bars and have a bike that looks similar to other board trackers. I'm hoping to add a bit of personality to this one. Really inspired by what the crew over at Imperial does.
looks like you are on the right track to me...my only question is this. from the pics she looks a little elevated in the front. is there a way to adjust the forks to make the top bar level to the road? nice work so far...

take care

Tom G

flatblack

May 22, 2011
Fairfax, VA
Silverbear-Thanks so much for the positive feedback! After seeing some of your prior builds, it means a lot coming from you! I'm glad someone in the know gets it!

Tom-Ya. I plan on cutting the springs and center adjustment rod to squat it down. Noticed it right off! If this fork isn't used (my STP2 may get offended at cut front forks ;) )then it will definitely be something similar. Also toying with the idea of triple tree forks, disc brake and clip-ons. We shall see!

This build will be a process. Want to do it right and keep being creative with the build. As I said earlier, this progress was just from a bored day off. More to come!