USSR 1961 motorized bicycle

GoldenMotor.com

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
I own several contemporary to motorized bicycle spark plugs.

That one, which can be seen on photo - is 1969 (1960-something, well, dont remember exactly) "A11У" spark plug.

What can I tell about it...
It is quite "hot" spark plug, made for low-forced engines, such as D4.
Soviet mark "A11" means similar like Bosch W9AC. Dont remember exactly, what means "У" in mark, it is either material "uranite" or something about wrench size.
16 mm wrench, 14х1,25 мм
Made by factory in Ufa city, factory, seems, is still alive: ÓÀÏÎ - Óôèìñêîå Àãðåãàòíîå Ïðîèçâîäñòâåííîå îáúåäèíåíèå - ñâå÷è çàæèãàíèÿ, íàñîñû, ýëåêòðîäâèãàòåëè
Works quite fine, as I can understand.

Here can be seen one of old Soviet spark plugs a little closer:

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX
This is fascinating. You have fellow enthusiasts all over USA.

I do not understand why many non-cycling Americans are so fascinated by one of these machines when it is parked, but so impatient while advancing on one in traffic. hhahaha

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Thank you for showing us the beginning of the engines we have so much fun with. Good looking bike and it looks like you are having fun with it also. It would be fun to mess with one of those rotary valve engines. Have fun, Dave

Down_South

Aug 28, 2008
North Carolina
Those old Russian plugs are hard to find. I'd like to find them for sale on eBay, Amazon or the like for the sake of collecting. Very interesting that the Russian plug hex is 16mm (5/8 in.). All the plugs available here have a 19mm (3/4 in.) hex or even 20.6mm (13/16 in.) hex. The link was very helpful, I thank you again.

Attachments

give me vtec

Jun 19, 2009
SoCal
I knew the Chinese stole the design from a pre war Russian design... but I didn't know the history of those two model bikes. thank you for sharing...

I knew a guy that said the engine itself was actually designed by the Russian military to transport small artillery during or right after ww2. you seem to be very knowledgeable, can you tell me if there is any truth to that claim?

very nice work.

Last edited:

sbech

Jan 7, 2011
Latvia (Europe)
designed by the Russian military to transport small artillery during or right after ww2.
No. That guy is wrong. For small artillery (and some other military aggregates, spinning radars antennas and so on) was made another, bigger, 750 cc (0r 650, don't remember) engine.

This D engine is too small. Absolutely sure - designed for driving bicycles.
Of course, motorized bicycles were used also in non-civillian life (saw photos and video of motorized bicycle with D engine, which was used in firemen station in 1960-ties), but that was not the primary aim. The guy messes with another engine.

Zman

Sep 10, 2010
germany
Hi, sbech !

very nice work you've been done ! I'm impressed !
Sometimes i've seen an D4 on partsmarkets here in germany,
I guess I should probably take a time...:p

Many greeting to russia from germany !
Thomas

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I just saw this thread now. You have so much restoration and fabrication talent. Incredible attention to detail, excellent metal repair, and I really like your decals and stencils :) great job!