Old Royce Union 18" from my shed. Huasheng...

GoldenMotor.com

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois
I'm thinking of keeping all the stock parts, except for maybe swapping out the brakes, multi-gears and derailer from it for some drum brakes , single gear , and engine kit . What do you guys think???

Last edited:

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
just as a point of reference,,,

I use an EZM Q-Matic (auto-clutch) drive hooked up to a HS 142F engine, rear wheel sprocket is a 72tooth from Jim (Creative-Engineering)

with this set-up, I can throttle down to 12-13mph thru school zones (legal speed thru them is 15)

the legal limit for a MB here in AZ is <20mph, and I can do that easily with just the throttle, even going downhill :)

I hope that helped you ;)

BTW,,,when hearing about a 'trans' on a 4stroke, unless they are using a shift-kit, they are referring to the gear-reduction necessary for correct gearing (the chinese 2smokes have an internal gear-reduction)

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
That would make for a sweet ridding ride. Would float. Looks like a great candidate for a rack-mount. Engine sits over the rear wheel. Not as sexy as a china girl but they ride great with the noise and vibes behind you. You might hear about the center of gravity being high, but really makes no difference. Could go pusher motor. I don't know of any kit pushers but real easy to make and can do it real cheap.

Pics of a friction drive and chain. Just as an example. Many folks offer kits. KITS and BICYCLE ENGINE PARTS, MOTORIZED BICYCLE PARTS

Build some thing cool!

.flg.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I'm thinking of keeping all the stock parts, except for maybe swapping out the brakes, multi-gears and derailer from it for some drum brakes , single gear , and engine kit . What do you guys think???
I think your room is upside down and everything is stuck to the floor-like ceilingrotfl

Nice bike, rear engine me thinks.

highlander9

Oct 15, 2010
Illinois

Moving along just nicely. Thanks everyone for the positive encouragement and answering my sorry questions. Uhmm. I guess as an aside...

It seems like wherever I go and whatever I do, there's a money factor that's always controlling me. That's why I got started on the old Royce in the first place-- $! I was searching on Craigslist for other feasible bikes -- like my usual thrifty self -- looking for bargains. I hesitated and missed out on this sweet Cannondale Jekyll 700sx -- probably with the shocks, disc brakes, and who knows what other super sweet parts -- all because the price tag was $300. .bf.

So I rationalize, "okay... now what? you just missed out on an opportunity that comes around every so often. you're looking for a full suspension 26" mountain bike ..." Then the thought finally comes to me. The Royce UNION! Then I go to the shed and take it out and bring it inside the house where I can take a closer inspection. From what it appears, the frame is intact; however, the fork is kind of suspect. It's a "Ballistic 16x" fork with a shock that slid right off the fork itself! The bottom bracket is a 3-piece cotterless crank which requires tightening every 25 miles. The seat's all torn, and there's a dent in the front rim. Not a pretty sight!

So I begin to churn my thoughts to buying aftermarket parts to put on. I want to swap out the old bottom bracket with a sealed cartridge bracket and add the appropriate crank arms with it. I want to swap out the headset bearing with sealed bearings. I want to buy a new shock absorbing fork. I want to get a disc brake for the rear and a dynamo hub in the front. I want to get a nice soft gel cushiony seat! I want everything new and customized to fit my needs and purposes! But wait a minute, with what kind of money??? All this just to customize a Royce Union frame with a dubious suspension system?!? Isn't that the whole reason i opted for the Royce Union? To avoid spending needlessly on another bike. So my mind trips into rationalize mode again, "Well just because you buy a fully rideable bike (like the cannondale jekyll) doesn't mean it's necessarily going to be perfect for motorization." "Well it costs as just as much if not even more to get all the parts then to just buy a full bike." etc. etc. etc.

I guess the main thing right now for me to do is stay focused on the task and not verge off onto otherwise unfruitful commentary and wishful thinking....duh.

Would appreciate your further inputs and insights about my predicament! Thank you!

Last edited: