Opinions on boardtracker frame

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I've started collecting parts for my first boardtracker build and ran across this red frame locally on Kijiji. They only want $10 for it. What do you guys think? I don't know the brand but I already see that the wheels will have to be replaced. Any clues as to what size these wheels are and how much should budget for a new set of wheels with tires as well as sources to purchase these items? the reason I ask is that there is another listing for a similar vintage bike (again on my local Kijiji) for $125 with new tires and straight wheels and decent chrome all around. Sooo, basically if it'll cost me more to get a set of wheels/tires for the red $10 frame I think I'll just go ahead and purchase the more expensive but better shape bike.

Attachments

Last edited:

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Here's a pic of the $125 bike. It's a CCM. As you can see the chrome on handlebars and sprocket is really nice, it has a nice seat that the guy recovered and that has that boardtracker look so I can reuse it, has new tires, nice grips and the rims I'm assured by the seller are straight and true.

BTW, even though the tires are new I think I'd prefer to use white, cream colored or even red colored ones (if someone makes those for the rim size on that bike that is).

Attachments

Last edited:

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Here's a pic of the rims on the $125 bike. As you can see they have nice 'patina' but are in good original condition. I might think twice before repainting them because I like the patina.

Attachments

Last edited:

K-dregg

Apr 20, 2010
Sweden
I would go with the rust bucket for 10 dollars.. The money you save could be used for other parts.
I think the wheels are a bit larger than 26inch, maybe 28? hard to tell from a pic. The wheel size information is usally found on the tires or rims.. If its a 28 inch bike it would look better to put on some fat 26 inch wheels instead of the skinny ones on it right now, well atleast thats my opinion :)

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I would go with the rust bucket for 10 dollars.. The money you save could be used for other parts.
I think the wheels are a bit larger than 26inch, maybe 28? hard to tell from a pic. The wheel size information is usally found on the tires or rims.. If its a 28 inch bike it would look better to put on some fat 26 inch wheels instead of the skinny ones on it right now, well atleast thats my opinion :)
I didn't want to bother the seller to see what wheels the bike has since I figured I can see when I go over to have a look at the bike. Anyways, if I could run 26" wheels on the bike without them looking undersized then I think getting the $10 frame makes the most sense. I neved payed attention but what wheel sizes do you guys typically run on these old frames on your boardtrackers? If it's the common 26" wheels that would be good since they're relatively inexpensive and easily available. But if I have to run the 28" (or whatever they may be on that frame) finding good replacements or finding new ones for a decent price may be prohibitive. If I have to pay say $60+ per rim and then the tires and repair/replace all the rusted chrome pieces on the bike then in that case I thought I might as well go with the $125 bike because it'll be cheaper in the long run. Plus I really like that brown seat. LOL With the $10 frame I have to put out another $40+ for a decent vintage looking seat.

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i'd buy them both. they're both CCM's and may be identical bikes, besides condition. so, for ten bucks you have a parts bike. you can't lose.

plus, if you build one, you're gonna wanna build another. if you have the same platform to work with, the second bike will be easier, and better. you can build up the clean one, and take your time restoring and customizing the rusty one.

i love those camelback frames, too. an under-frame tank would fit awesome.

Last edited:

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
i'd buy them both. they're both CCM's and may be identical bikes, besides condition. so, for ten bucks you have a parts bike. you can't lose.

plus, if you build one, you're gonna wanna build another. if you have the same platform to work with, the second bike will be easier, and better. you can build up the clean one, and take your time restoring and customizing the rusty one.

i love those camelback frames, too. an under-frame tank would fit awesome.
That's a really good point. I haven't thought of that. Looking in the pics again they do look to be identical frames.

CoastalCruiser

Apr 28, 2010
Spaced Coast
LOL when I saw the first frame I tought it was bent. Then the second one was identical! Like Bairdco sez, get em both. you can probably get $25 off the clean one if you're sweet! BTW if you want a more traditional BTR look you could weld another bar in the field of the frame.

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
I could be wrong here but I'm guessing that CCM is a Canadian company because I see the logo lots on hockey and other equipment and the local Sears also sells new CCM bikes. Anyway.....

I think I will try to get them both. At least I'll have material for future builds. Although I wouldn't mind running into an old Colson like Bairdco some day. :)

LOL when I saw the first frame I tought it was bent. Then the second one was identical! Like Bairdco sez, get em both. you can probably get $25 off the clean one if you're sweet! BTW if you want a more traditional BTR look you could weld another bar in the field of the frame.
If I'm sweet? You mean go to the seller's place in some high heels and show a little leg? (^) LOL
Yup, I like the traditional BTR look and was already thinking about welding in that second bar. :)

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
uh, CCM stands for "Canada Cycle and Motor" company. i figured you knew that, being from there, aay.
LOL Let's just say I had a sneaking suspicion. Don't tell any other Canucks or they'll cover me in maple syrop but we typically know more about what goes on in the U.S. than what goes on right here in Canada. :)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I like the frame design. Rather than weld in a second bar I'd leave it as it is since it gives you so much room for the engine. A cylindrical tank hanging off the top bar would look good, I think. I like the pedal crank design on the nice one. I personally would want to mount 2.125 tires on it, 26" and rims with heavier spokes. I don't know the width of those rims, but maybe the old ones you could rebuild with thicker spokes... it would give you something to experiment on and you have the shiny ones as a fall back. Yes, both bikes is wise. The old one is the one to strip down and repaint if that's what you have in mind to do. If those are skinny tires less than 1.175, make sure you have room between the forks and rear frame for wider tires. Skinny tires on a motored bike are not a good idea in my opinion. Good frame, well made, solid wheels and balloon tires make a good cruiser. In the end you want to ride this thing! Cool bike.
SB

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Here's a pic of the $125 bike. It's a CCM. As you can see the chrome on handlebars and sprocket is really nice, it has a nice seat that the guy recovered and that has that boardtracker look so I can reuse it, has new tires, nice grips and the rims I'm assured by the seller are straight and true.

BTW, even though the tires are new I think I'd prefer to use white, cream colored or even red colored ones (if someone makes those for the rim size on that bike that is).
Nice seat on the shiny one. Combining parts you have some nice ones to work with. The rear rack from the rusty one, extra wheels, spare front fork and bearings. Both is a good idea for sure. It might be good to take a ruler along to measure the clearance for 2.125 tires if you go that route.
SB

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Hey Silverbear!! Thanks for the info and opinions. Good to hear that 26" rims are acceptable on these frames. But like you say I will bring a measuring tape to check the clearances. Good thing you mentioned it since I probably would have gone to see the bikes and only then wished I'd brought something to measure with. Any other things I should check for besides the obvious condition of the frame (cracks, etc), bearings and so on?

Also my next day off work is Thursday so I hope the bikes don't sell before I get a chance to check them out. *sigh*