Front drive instructions

GoldenMotor.com

lds

Mar 26, 2010
north KY
I need instructions for a home built friction drive WW motor rack mount for FWD.

I could not find such in the search function.

This is my first build and I would like to keep it as simple as possible.:-||

TerrontheSnake

Jun 1, 2009
Oregon
Hmm, I have only seen one person do a front wheel drive that was not on here tho that was in person and he was like 90 15 years ago so I don't know if he's still around. That guy was my first inspiration to put a random motor on a bike..............My hero.....LoLz

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Look for "bike bug" TAS Spitz or free spirit. I don't know if there are any instructions so to speak, but look there for inspiration.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The Solex clones? I only know of one person (can't remember who) and they said it was junk out of the box, required a few parts to be made, and never reported back.

Maybe for 49.99 I'd try one for kicks, but not at the 199.99 plus shipping they wanted for them.

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
I need instructions for a home built friction drive WW motor rack mount for FWD.

I could not find such in the search function.

This is my first build and I would like to keep it as simple as possible.:-||
might i ask why you want to do this? i am curious. then err also make/model of bike, ill see if i can figure somethign out for you

P.S. BGF, what is that?

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
ahh, lol.

Is funny, the longest lasting chingirl I have bought, was a BGF. An' I beat that poor thing.

Bummer part of the 4 smokers, they last so long your sorta stuck with your choices. (OH Man, I am gonna get jumped for that! snork)

Release the krackin!

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
ahh, lol.

Is funny, the longest lasting chingirl I have bought, was a BGF. An' I beat that poor thing.

Bummer part of the 4 smokers, they last so long your sorta stuck with your choices. (OH Man, I am gonna get jumped for that! snork)

Release the krackin!
Im going 4smoker as soon as i can round up the $$ until then this BGF i have installed - 1 clutch cover bolt) will suffice. it was cheap too. BTW, the clutch cover bolt was removed so i could have an anchor point for my clutch cable. i made sure hte others were pelnty tight. ( htey still are btw) and htat clutch doesnt seem to have been affected any.

BTW i WILL give him props though. it was WELL packed. i was aggrivated , mainly cause it took me 30 minuts to UNPACK the thing lol

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
is nite an' day. I really do love both, my 2 and 4 strokes. But given the choice, any MB with st8 gas is 1st choice leaving the house. Just more fun. But the size thing sucks. I really want to side mount a right side, 4 stroke, rack mount. The racks do not look cool, but man they ride nice! Ya do not notice any balance stuff and all the noise and vibes are behind. Makes for a good ride.

lol at the un-packing Yam. I hear ya. (an would beach if it was poor)

lds

Mar 26, 2010
north KY
might i ask why you want to do this? i am curious. then err also make/model of bike, ill see if i can figure somethign out for you
Very simple really. I just snagged two used trikes out of the dumpster. One is ridable (after a little TLC), the other a parts doner.

I have access to chain saw and WW motors. I am tight with the local small engine repair guy.

I have plenty of tools, space and general mechanical (my wife used to call it piddling) ability, a horde of scrap iron and not much $$$.

I just retired, moved out to the sticks and need transport to the fishing hole, corner store....And I'm too dang old to pedal that far!

The first assist motor I ever saw was a 2 cycle that hung from the handle bars. That would be ideal for this trike build.

I saw the WW application Decon did for the rear wheel and thought someone might have posted one for the front wheel at some point. It would just keep me from having to engineer it on my own as a first build.

I am extremely impressed at the level of applied ingenuity on this site. KISS principle seems to be mandatory here.

I really have enjoyed reviewing the posts here. I have already learned enough to get this done from you guys in just a couple of days. It will get done, I just may have think it out as I go.

I'll do pics as I go

zpt

yamahonkawazuki

Mar 17, 2010
Clinton Tn
cool. your situation sounds like mine lol. my trek 4500 i got in a trade, 5+ years ago. wheels were shot. so i parked it. well when my mom died, i took the wheels off of her giant MTB. and used them. 10yo but maybe 30 feet on them. ive always had curiosities toward an FWD bike. now ill get to see how its done. looking forward to the buildcvlt1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Very simple really. I just snagged two used trikes out of the dumpster. One is ridable (after a little TLC), the other a parts doner.

I have access to chain saw and WW motors. I am tight with the local small engine repair guy.

I have plenty of tools, space and general mechanical (my wife used to call it piddling) ability, a horde of scrap iron and not much $$$.

I just retired, moved out to the sticks and need transport to the fishing hole, corner store....And I'm too dang old to pedal that far!

The first assist motor I ever saw was a 2 cycle that hung from the handle bars. That would be ideal for this trike build.

I saw the WW application Decon did for the rear wheel and thought someone might have posted one for the front wheel at some point. It would just keep me from having to engineer it on my own as a first build.

I am extremely impressed at the level of applied ingenuity on this site. KISS principle seems to be mandatory here.

I really have enjoyed reviewing the posts here. I have already learned enough to get this done from you guys in just a couple of days. It will get done, I just may have think it out as I go.

I'll do pics as I go

zpt
Vedy, vedy kool. As you go and jump hurtles, ya help new folks. Pics, ideas and failures. All about the fun and sharing.

LOL, next we should break into song an kumbiya around a camp fire. I'll go this way now

jcchappy

Aug 18, 2009
antlers, ok.
I have been thinking about this also. I do not like friction drive so I have came up with this so far as what I have from salvaged bikes. use this type of gear. Brand New REAR SPROCKET W/FREEWHEEL 4 E- Scooter - eBay (item 190377448520 end time Apr-01-10 17:47:19 PDT) screw off the cassette on a moutain bike wheel and what you see there can have this sprocket screwed on. mount your engine over the front tire. with a chain and adjusting system make sure the gearing is plenty low. the china girl engine already have like a 50 to 1 ratio when they come out of the engine then they go back to a 44 or so tooth rear sprocket.