Won't start - no spark (possibly)

GoldenMotor.com

swodell

Apr 30, 2008
Hi, I read through the other threads for information, but nothing seemed to help too much. I just installed this 80cc engine kit, so everything is in new condition. I have been trying to get it started, but it just doesn't want to fire up! I'll pedal and pedal down hill, release the clutch lever, the engine tries to live, but it just dies with decreasing speed. I have fuel coming out the exhaust, and have played around with the carburetor a bunch, so the engine is definitely getting fuel. With the engine being brand new, it has compression. After ruling those two out, i suppose it must be spark! I hooked the blue wires from the engine and CDI box together, and I hooked the black wires from the engine and CDI ignition together too. I checked out the key and key hole magneto thing - that all seems to be fine. A friend and I checked out the spark, but didn't see any spark when we would turn the engine over. I have no idea why it won't fire up - maybe I'm forgetting something? Who here has had experience with not getting spark, and what did you do to fix it?

Any help and suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i am no expert but did you hook up the kill switch. if so try with it unhooked and see if you get spark. i have heard of the kill switch being bad in more then one instance. also make sure the white wire is well covered and no cracks or anything else that could be grounding out on the frame

swodell

Apr 30, 2008
I did have the kill switch hooked up, but it made no difference. I had the white wire covered up too. I'm thinking there might be problem with the CDI box or spark plug wiring. Ugh!

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Disconnect the kill switch, they are notoriously bad and both of mine were defective from day one (one worked the first time I started the bike, but crapped out after that.)

If after that you have no spark, let us know.

Check for spark by unscrewing the plug, grounding it to the engine, and then have a helper turn the back wheel so the engine is turning.

Double check that the wire is SCREWED into the CDI box all the way (clockwise) and the cap is on the wire good and the that it is making contact with the tip of the plug.

Make sure the needle clip on the slide needle is on the second notch from the top...if it's down on the third or last/bottom notch, you may be flooding it badly.

toytime

Mar 20, 2008
Ontario
I would start with another plug first. You could also make sure that the plug wire is installed properly at both ends, (inside the cdi box and the sparkplug cap) by pushing inwards while screwing the wire to the right. You will notice that the wire "screws" onto what looks like a nail, is this poking into the right spot, making contact with the wire. You could snip a 1/2 inch off each end of the plug wire to allow you to make sure that you are making a good connection. With any luck, this may help you. Good luck!

swodell

Apr 30, 2008
I have disconnected the kill switch, and have gotten no change in response. I've checked and rescrewed the spark wire to the screw in the cdi box and into the spark plug several times now, and it has made no difference.

"Make sure the needle clip on the slide needle is on the second notch from the top...if it's down on the third or last/bottom notch, you may be flooding it badly."

Notches? Hm, I haven't noticed that. I'll try to check that out.

Lastly, why can't we just use like a huge MSD Blaster Coil instead of this tiny cdi box!? Would I hurt my engine or anything if I replaced the cdi box with a coil like this - MSD Blaster 3 coil MSD 8223

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
If that works, it sure won't hurt the engine....let us know fo'sho'!

I'm not an electronics wizard so I don't know if it's the same thing as our "cdi box".

Anyone else know?

As long as it's compatable with a magneto, it should work. We are running 6v if that matters.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
I'm supposed to get a cdi from chris hill to tear into soon there must be some triggering goodies in there along with the coil but until I get one I don't really know that is in it.
The guys info for you to try sounds good. You could try a different spark plug or make a simple plug tester to see if your getting spark. if you have a volt ohm meter check your wiring to make sure nothing is grounded out. take off the cover to the mag. you can even pull out the mags coil and look over the soldered wires real close to make sure they are soldered on good and no wild hairs/wire touching something they are not supposed to be touching.
This is a painful way to test for spark. hold the plug wire and spin the engine if it don't knock the slobbers out of you then you for sure have a bad coil or cdi then it's time to call your seller and do some whining about it not working.
I hope you can find your problem good luck.

swodell

Apr 30, 2008
With the kill switch disconnected, I checked for spark: No spark at the plug, the CDI, or even the blue wire. I did get power from the white wire though. I opened the casing to check out the magneto and check connections, and found out the blue wire was no longer soldered onto the magneto. I figured that was the problem, so I soldered it back onto where I thought it went, but the engine still wouldn't start afterwards. Does anyone have a picture of EXACTLY where the blue wire goes to on or around the magneto?

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
I would say the magcoil is probably trash now... I've had problems with them before & I couldn't fix em.
A MSD coil will not work!
So far no one has been able to find better ignition parts other than changing the boot, wire & plug that will work on these engines... but were getting close!
Read my thread "Beefed up ignition??" in the high performance section... If you can come up with any ideas on that subject, POST EM!

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
You can buy a new magcoil from that'sdax or possibly other sellers for under 20 dollars. Have you checked with your seller for a replacement/warranty?

swodell

Apr 30, 2008
I think the magneto is fine - I found out that the blue wire lost connection and was kinda just hanging around near the magneto. I tried to solder it back to where I thought it went, but I am not getting spark still.

Can someone post up pictures of where the blue wire is soldered to the side of the magneto? I want to make sure I put it back in the right spot.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Can someone post up pictures of where the blue wire is soldered to the side of the magneto? I want to make sure I put it back in the right spot.
I hope you can see it well, I do have one out of the motor but it is at work. Hopefully I can remember to bring it home tomorrow so you can see it better.

The Blue wire goes on the top of the winding, white wire to the bottom, and black is ground

swodell

Apr 30, 2008
AH THANK YOU!!!!!! i soldered it onto the outside of the magneto on the steel part rather than the copper part. Hopefully this will solve my issue! I'm so excited now!

:)

swodell

Apr 30, 2008
Wow, it STILL won't start! I soldered it to the copper/brass magneto part, and nothing happened. When I let out the clutch, the motor tries to start, but won't stay running. When I pull the throttle, it revs the engine a little bit, but not much at all.

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
if its firing now as the way you are describing it you need to turn in the idle speed screw on the carb to increase the idle speed or hold the throttle open to get it to run and while blipping the throttle to keep it form dieing adjust the idle speed on the carb until it will idle.

spad4me

Jan 20, 2008
Arizona Bullhead
Wow, it STILL won't start! I soldered it to the copper/brass magneto part, and nothing happened. When I let out the clutch, the motor tries to start, but won't stay running. When I pull the throttle, it revs the engine a little bit, but not much at all.
You seem to have spark
Did you gap the plug.
Is the plug tight.

You need to check for air and gas now .
Turn your petcock so that the handle is parallel to the fuel line.
First push the tickler button about 30 times Yes its a lot.

Second Lift the choke lever UP .

Peddle down hill if possible at about 7 mph let go of the clutch while continuing to pedal.

When it starts keep it running at a low rpm not full throttle. slowly push the choke handle DOWN.

Are you pulling the throttle cable or twisting the throttle handle ???