Smart Grips! Thoughts?

GoldenMotor.com

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
The video in the website below explains the concept. They're aren't really grips; they insert into your handlebars through the bar-end. The video tells what all they can do for you. The only downside I could see to them is, if you're running a two-stroke that is poorly balanced or just likes to vibrate a lot, you might have trouble noticing the haptic feedback. There may be other pros or cons I haven't thought of, which is why I'm throwing this out there for discussion. Let's hear some thoughts! :)

http://smrtgrips.com/

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Very cool, but for me I have no use for such a thing.

The only thing I like about it is the bike tracker so that I could track my bike if stolen. I don't carry or need a cell phone so I guess that would not work for me either lol.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/smrtgrips-world-s-first-connected-bike-grips#/

I looked at the site link above:Bike Finder: The Bike Finder remembers where you left your bike last on a GPS map. At close range, but still can't find it? Make it ring!

This is not for finding a bike that moved, like stolen. The distance: 300ft bluetooth range.

I was thinking a tracking device.... not enough power for something like LowJack.

MT

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Very cool, but for me I have no use for such a thing.

The only thing I like about it is the bike tracker so that I could track my bike if stolen. I don't carry or need a cell phone so I guess that would not work for me either lol.
No kidding, I always know where I am going and see who is riding with me by turning head ;-}

I also don't even own a 'smart' phone that keeps track of every damn thing I do, say, or where I am even am though it would be a pretty boring read anyway.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I guess, having had a smart phone for a while now, I'm starting to forget how many people still don't have them. And yes, the smart grips would be basically useless without the owner having a smart phone. Nevertheless, I think some important downsides have been pointed out already.
I think I will keep checking this thread from time to time and see if more smart phone users chime in. They are likely to mention some of the same drawbacks, but maybe there will be ideas for improvements. We'll see.

ElGallo

Jul 1, 2012
San Antonio, Texas
but now that i know about the device, i just look at the bars and take it out when i steal your rig.
i dont steal and dont condone it, but its just as easy to take off as putting on.
i think its a cool idea but further development, actual urban development, would make it a nice product to have and use.

leo

Jul 20, 2015
southern wv
there is now way i would leave my bike anywhere outside and walk away.
so the "finder" function would be useless to me.

Greenbiker

Feb 12, 2016
Oklahoma
I think this is pretty cool for pedal only ebikes, i think that unless the oscillator in them is bad ass, it will get lost in even only moderate motor vibration. The tracking is cool if its as good as i remeber from watching the video a while ago. I just started a thread about a tracking method i think will work pretty well and is probably cheaper than this. Stilk pretty neat though.

MEASURE TWICE

Jul 13, 2010
CA
there is now way i would leave my bike anywhere outside and walk away.
so the "finder" function would be useless to me.
How accurate is the vertical on the GPS. One Summer there was some prank that occurred that had a bike disappear. It did not seem so funny to the one it was played on, but as you know what goes up must come down... from the height of the tree. About 15-20 feet above, a non-motorized bike tied to a strong limb.

OK, this device is clever, but maybe not so useful to motorized bikes.