Help about mixture (break in)

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Sure. Don't go by the chinese instructions... Mix your gas at 24:1 and ride it. I would suggest that you alter the speed and load on the engine, ( don't over rev it, and don't dog it down too slow).
After a tank or two of fuel go to 40: 1 mixture and ride it like you are on a race track. (wide open throttle for a few seconds, then back off.) cycle the engine through it's rpm range, and don't worry about it too much.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The larger number is the gasoline content. The smaller is oil. Think of it as ounces. If you have 24 oz of gas, you add 1 oz of oil. You'll have a 24:1 mix. Same for 40:1 or any recommended fuel/oil mix.

Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
what kind of oil and gas do i need?
Most of use the cheap gasoline. 85 octane is good enough unless you have a heavily modified, high compression engine. As for oil, use a good quality oil formulated for air cooled 2 stroke engines. Stay away from outboard motor oil as most of it is made for water cooled engines that do not see the operating temperatures encountered with an air cooled engine.

Mix your fuel in a seperate container, not the bike's tank. Mix the oil with the gasoline then shake the container to properly blend the two then fill your tank. We always recommend that new kit fuel tanks be cleaned before installation and use a good in-line fuel filter between the tank and the carburetor.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
dpj, is not hard. Here is a calculator; http://www.csgnetwork.com/oilfuelcalc.html

Type in "24" where is asks "Gas/Oil Mixture Ratio" it will come out that you add just a tad over 5 oz. of 2 stroke oil for air cooled engines. For break-in, I just use 6 oz. Take a gallon gas jug and put the oil in, then gas and shake.

Sounds way harder in text then it is. Don't let it get to be a big deal. Really is easy.

video;

http://www.youtube.com/results?sear...1.1.0.0.0.0.185.185.0j1.1.0...0.0.uAuUCTa2tk8

Cheap gas works just fine and expensive gas is not gonna do a thing for ya but make the station owner happier.

Let us know how ya make out.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It really is a nothing thing once you mix some up or see some one do it.

First time I read a ratio like 24:1, I was like WTF (well thats fun) then a buddy told me to put 6 oz in untill the motor sounds and feels better. Then use 4oz of oil to a gallon of gas." I have been doing that since and has worked for me. But is, the ratio, a hotly debated issue at times.

It is confusing at first but soon you'll be offering folks help and advise. Build some thing cool!