What kind of gas do you use?

GoldenMotor.com

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
Here where I live, there is 3 types of Gas: ( 87/ 89/ 93 )
87 is the cheapest, 89 is in the middle, and 93 is the best. What kind do you use?

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
use the cheap 87 octane stuff, don't waste your money on high octane 89 / 93 stuff.
you'll just be throwing money out your exhaust pipe.
these engines (assuming a 2 stroke china engine) have very low compression and they run best on low octane, cheap gas.

Drewd

Jul 25, 2008
Colorado
I use 85 octane at my altitude without any problems. If its extremely hot outside and I'm on a long slow ride up mountain passes than I usually switch to 87 octane.

At sea level I had no issues with 87 octane during hot summer months in the deep south.

If using an aftermarket high compression head, I'd probably bump the octane to mid-grade for the area/altitude you live.

Last edited:

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
93 is not "the best" so get that out of your head right now. It doesn't magically make your engine run better, it doesn't run hotter and it doesn't contain more power. The only difference between 87 and 93 is that it won't self-ignite(detonate) until a much higher pressure than 87. Works great on engines with high-compression but does absolutely nothing on low-compression engines like these. No reason to use anything other than low-octane.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
on my china doll i run 118 octane leaded race fuel, but i shaved the head and jug as much as i could for higher compression, and for 6 bucks a gallon, i got fuel that will store well with out drawing in moisture for months.only worry i got is my caster oil seperating while sitting,so i always shake my jug before i top off. while i may not have gained any real power, the throttle response was crisper and i have a nice manly scent when riding it. nothing like the smell of race fuel and caster in the morning.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
on my china doll i run 118 octane leaded race fuel, but i shaved the head and jug as much as i could for higher compression, and for 6 bucks a gallon, i got fuel that will store well with out drawing in moisture for months.only worry i got is my caster oil seperating while sitting,so i always shake my jug before i top off. while i may not have gained any real power, the throttle response was crisper and i have a nice manly scent when riding it. nothing like the smell of race fuel and caster in the morning.
wow, you must like throwing money away.
118 octane is good for engines with like 12:1 compression.
there's no way a h.t. 2 stroke can ever have that much compression.
i'll bet your engine would run fine on 89 octane.
why waste the money on 118 @ $6.00 a gallon?

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Octane isn't the factor when I look for fuel. I want one with no alcohol on it and the only fuel around here like that is Shell Premium. Racing fuels have no alcohol, either. Expensive but one way to be sure your aluminum in the motor isn't being eaten away as you ride :p

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
Octane isn't the factor when I look for fuel. I want one with no alcohol on it and the only fuel around here like that is Shell Premium. Racing fuels have no alcohol, either. Expensive but one way to be sure your aluminum in the motor isn't being eaten away as you ride :p
seriously?
does it really matter?
these engines aren't made to last, so what does it really matter?
It's not like it's a harley, it;s a throw away 2 stoke...why pay for expensive gas?
they're just for fun, and they are a novelty, they are not made for every day commuting....they just won't last when you ride them in place of a car no matter what kind of fuel you put in it.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
First off what makes you think I have one of those cheap A** Chinee motors? I sold them off a long time ago and got a Morini. Morini's can go 10,000 miles or better between rebuilds, something you can do to a Chinee motor but why would you? I don't need the Dellorto carb's aluminum crumbling into gray powder like what happens to the aluminum fittings on the USAC Midgets I used to work on.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
First off what makes you think I have one of those cheap A** Chinee motors? I sold them off a long time ago and got a Morini. Morini's can go 10,000 miles or better between rebuilds, something you can do to a Chinee motor but why would you? I don't need the Dellorto carb's aluminum crumbling into gray powder like what happens to the aluminum fittings on the USAC Midgets I used to work on.
well, i'm sorry about that. you didn't state what kind of engine you had...I assumed it was a china 2 stroke.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
I buy racing fuel because my HT is a hobby and a toy. Also racing fuel has a self life measured in months, not days like gasohol. Plus I like the added lubrication of the lead. My motor has a li over 4000 miles on it and still runs perfect. And the 100 or so miles I get for that $6 is alot farther than 6 bucks will get me in my truck. As for your claim they dont work for commuting, you are sadly mistaken. I used my bike to go 28 miles round trip 5 days a week for five months, only time I got stranded is when my magneto fried cause it got wet.

Cavi Mike

Dec 17, 2011
Rochester, NY
Gasoline doesn't have a shelf-life. As long as it's not exposed to air, gas will last indefinitely. I'm not sure what you heard but it's definitely wrong.

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol
Gasoline doesn't have a shelf-life. As long as it's not exposed to air, gas will last indefinitely. I'm not sure what you heard but it's definitely wrong.
Gas with ethanol will absorb moisture from the air, and all new fuel containers are vented, which means the fuel has access to the air, and can draw out moisture from the air.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/ethanol_engine_precautions.html

2. Replace the gas in your fuel tank at least every 2-3 weeks.
The shelf life of E-10 gas is only 3 months (90-100 days) under ideal environmental conditions.

5. Prevent external water and moisture (high humidity) from coming in contact with E-10 gas.

6. Ethanol-blend fuels will lower MPG in most engines; Fuel efficiency can decrease by 2-40%. Maintain your engine to provide the best possible fuel efficiency. (Inflate tires, keep tuned, etc.). View more information on fuel efficiency and mpg of E-10 gas.

7. Chose an octane level above 89, for an added level of security when purchasing E-10 gas. If water contaminates (WC) your gas, the fuel will dilute and the octane level can drop up to 4 points.

8. Avoid all fuel additives and fuel system treatment products that contain ethanol or are alcohol-based,
Most octane boosters and fuel system cleansers contain alcohol. View gas additive list.

9. Become familiar with symptoms and effects of "bad gas", often caused by too high alcohol levels of gas.
Symptoms include varied malfunctions including stalling, hesitation, smoke released from exhaust, clogged fuel filters and carburetors, damage to fuel pumps, pistons and injectors, disintegration and dissolving of engine parts (especially rubber and plastic), drying-out of parts (hoses), and more.

10. Save money - Contaminated gas can not be restored to the original composition.
No miracle product or ingredient exists that will completely prevent all water absorption or safely repair phase separated (PS) gas.

11. Frequently check gasoline tank for signs of Water Contamination (WC) and Phase Seperation (PS).
Two or three distinct layers will be seen after WC and PS occur.

12. Check engine manufacturer warranty for details and consequences of alcohol fuel use. Most engine warranties exclude repairs caused by the use of fuel containing over 10% ethanol or water contamination.

13. Install a water-separator filter (10 micron or better),

14. Store E-10 and E-85 ethanol gas in clean and dry alcohol-resistant tanks. Fuel discoloration indicates gas contamination, often caused from the release (cleansing) of rust, dirt and sediment from the gas tank walls.

15. Properly discard any fuel that appears to have gone bad.

16. Keep your engine well tuned and lubricated and follow the manufacturers recommended maintenance schedule. Replace parts that are not resistant to alcohol. Plastic and rubber parts and hoses are most vulnerable. Fuel system and pumps, piston and carburetor and timing may need changes to be compatible. Older engines often contain parts not designed to resist ethanol/alcohol.

17. Be aware that "private" gas pumps (EG. marine fuel) are not always required to follow the same laws that pertain to public stations. In most states private marine stations are "allowed" to sell non-ethanol gas, but many do not. This is usually because their fuel suppliers no longer distribute non-ethanol gas and/or due to higher profit margin for E10 (due to goverment funded ethanol subsidies and tax credits).

18. Airplanes (all aircraft) are exempt from using ethanol blends and all alcohol fuels.

19. Many types of engines are not designed for the use of alcohol fuel. This may include older cars and outboards, lawn and other small gas-powered equipment. Only during the past 5-10 years, have the manufacturers' re-designed engines, when necessary, to be compatible with E-10 gas. View Manufacturer Ethanol Recommendations and Warnings.

20. State laws vary widely regarding distribution and pump labeling requirements. Some states mandate ethanol in conventional gas, some allow premium without ethanol, some do NOT require pump labeling to inform consumer when alcohol is added. It is important to know current laws in your area.

MORE INFORMATION - Review our website directory/index for more ethanol and gasoline information.

Alcohol in E10 ethanol gasoline has caused engine problems & damage, especially to older vehicles and marine outboard boat motors.
E10 gasoline causes many more problems and disadvantages than benefits. E85 fuels used only in flex fuel vehicles is far more advantageous. E-85 flex-fuel is not a perfect solution, but it does help to decrease our dependence on foreign oil.

Hoze513

Nov 24, 2011
Joliet, illinois
I have been using shell 89, Which is there middle kind around here. It's usually around 10cents more than there cheaper stuff. Which is 87. On my next tank I will get 87.

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana
just add sta-bil to your gas every time you fill up a can, it will last a very long time.
I really don't know anyone who has gas sitting in a can for a very long time anyway.
i use my weedeater about once a week which eats up some of my 2 stroke gas mix, plus i have 2 motorized bikes that i use the same gas for.
at the most, gas in a can sits in my garage for 2 weeks.

Razors Edge

Apr 2, 2012
Washington State
good info from Mooner, I go out of my way slightly to get ethanol free gas from an AG supply store. I use the ethanol free gas in my cars most the time also, the cost is within a few cents of the cheapest gas in town and it gives 3-4 mpg better mileage in my car. worth it :)

waistofhumanspace

Jan 8, 2011
michigan
118 octaine Race fuel seems to keep the engine run cooler along with KLOTS Casterbean oil,thats the fuel that I use. people seem to like the smell, it makes it a lil more accepted when I bring it indoors, no gasoline smell for people to comlpain about.
dnut