New China Girl Motor

GoldenMotor.com

Tyler6357

Mar 15, 2012
Santa Barbara, CA
I got my 66/80 cc China Girl via Fed Ex today from Helio Bikes (see pic #2284 below). When I opened the box I noticed some slight damage.
(1) One of the fins on the head is cracked and bent (see pic #2281 & #2283).
(2) One of the fins on the side is bent (see pic #2286 below).
(3) I see what looks like rust or corrosion (orange color) on one of the head nuts and on the spark plug (see pic #2287 below)

First, I'm wondering if the broken fins will affect the ability of the engine to run cool. Is it advisable to replace the head? Should I attempt to bend them back into place??

Second, I plan to replace the head nuts and the spark plug anyway but is it normal to get that orange color on a new engine? I'm wondering if this engine is really new or is it used?

All replies welcome!

Attachments

ocho ninja

Jan 14, 2012
San Jose, CA
Re: New China Girl

I don't think the messed up fins should affect cooling.
But that engine looks likes it's been sitting around in some warehouse for a VERY long time.
I would suggest a full tear down of the engine see how good or bad the inside is.

fugit

Mar 5, 2012
Oregon

That would bum me out a bit but doesnt look tragic - adds character :) Make up a story to tell the girls you wrecked get sympathy points :). You should replace spark plug anyway ngk and others much better. Most guys here recommend exchanging head studs and or bolts too. Doesnt have to sit around long for rust like that especially sitting in port on a damp boat...

dragray

Mar 10, 2012
Indiana

sorry but this is how these engines are. they are very low quality.
a full tear down...seriously?
I'd run it the way it is....it'll be fine
these engines can sit for months before they get shipped out. a little rust on the nuts is nothing. if you're that concerned, go over them with some s.o.s. and get the rust off.
bent fins will not affect it at all, it's mostly cosmetic.
you didn't buy a Yamaha 2 stroke, you bought a china made 66 c.c. 2 stroke based on a russian engine design from the 30's made from recycled pop cans....what more do you want?

but the cracked fin on the head would bum me out a bit.
if i were you, i'd send pics to the vendor and see if they will send you a new head. actually a new head is only around $15.00 anyway.
the cracked fin won't affect it's cooling ability, but it looks like crap.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast

Ty, unfortunately this is not abby normal in the world of chinagirls. :-(

which doesn't mean that it's acceptable.
The broken fins probably won't affect performance much, (my own chinagirl doesn't seem to run hot), but it definitely not a good thing!

As suggested above, contact the vendor for them to ship you a replacement part complete with new head gasket.

The rusty discoloration would indicate the cargo container sat on the dock, or was onboard ship a bit longer than they had planned for. or they didn't prep it quite right.

They are enduring economic problems over in asia just the same as we are, AND increased shipping costs due to the fuel situation getting more expensive.
i suspect that soon, our days of cheep ht's may fade faster than it has been

and YES! You should find the thread on the AL.Fisherman pre-assembly teardown!

Good luck
rc

Attachments

Last edited:

moonerdizzle

Jun 28, 2009
Cheese head capitol

i always tear into my motors when i get them, first to make sure theres no sand/casting slag/ cigarettes/paper/ first born children hiding in the case, and secondly to clean the ports, swap gaskets for better ones, and prelube the bearings.