All things mtb

GoldenMotor.com

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
this is true... Have enough people participate and each would need to put in only a little... My family wants to buy me a welder for christmas

Unsolved Rubix

Jun 22, 2008
Indianapolis, IN
I thought about buying a welder not to long ago but decided against it...but dang that would of made the mount a lot easier to make haha... but no where near as adjustable as it is haha

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I feel the same way. It's like loctite, every time I use it, I have to change something on the mount. Welding is even more you can't go back.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have begun double nutting and using super glue as a loctite subbie. I can't testify to it's effectiveness yet, but it can be broken loose to change the mount. It seems to make it a bit tougher to break loose but still doable.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The mtb25 has been renamed the resurrection bike. I pulled it out and moved the bikester engine over. The carb on the ebay engine never did work quite right so I got tired of messin' with it and switched it for the new bolens carb. Might as well get some use from the bolens I screwed up.

Actually the bike took off and ran like a champ. I enjoyed riding it this morning even though I only did the test mile. It runs everybit as good as the chainsaw 33cc bike does. So I'm very happy to have it back on line.

I used the rear brake from the bikester on the chainsaw sequel bike. I haven't actually tested it yet, but I will tomorrow I hope. If not then Sunday if it isn't raining.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
that's awesome really awesome!!!

I'm hoping to get in a a brief ride tonight after the commute is over and before the rain hits us up here. Supposed to rain insane amounts tomorrow.

I"m not looking forward to it.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Back when I was under thirty (yes a darn long time ago) I rented a tiny mobile home. At the time I was the world's oldest rookie cop. Even though my memory has huge holes in it, I can remember laying on a hard bed listening to a downpour falling on the metal roof.

I probably would not remember it so vividly had I been alone. But that is another story for a child proof location. It had to do with chocolate covered krispy Kreme donuts and strong black coffee and a waitress from a 24hr restaurant. I'll let you fill in the blanks. But alas I slipped off point yet again.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
The last few times I tried to ride the mtb it gave me fits. It would bog down for no apparent reason and with absolutely no consistency. Today I was determined to get to the bottom of it. I finished the chainsaw 42 bike so I had nothing much to do. It also looks a lot like more rain.

Even I know enough to suspect a fuel or fuel air problem. Before I did anything else I checked out the gas lines and changed the fuel filter. When I tried to pump the primer it would not return it stayed depressed. So I changed it as well. The new one did only slightly better.

I revented my homebrew gas tank. Then I tried to start the bike... nothing As anyone else would do I wasted half an hour pulling on it. I pulled the plug it was dry. Now I had a almost new carb on the bike so I went looking at the supply lines.

Finally in desperation I pulled the cover to check the throttle control. Maybe the cable was jammed. I didn't see how it could be but heck you never know. To my horror the problem jumped right out at me. The almost new carb had a needle missing. I guess when I shook the original new engine apart the needle must have been loose from the factory and just kept getting worse. Either way it was gone.

Since I have junked out an engine or two since I began my search for alternate engines I had another carb. I cleaned it up and stuck it on the motor. It came right to life. I had to adjust it of course but the carb seems to be fine.

I guess I will try to see if I can put a needle in from another junker I have and save the carb I took off.

Now that I know I can exchange the crank set for a smaller one I might stick a 20" coaster brake wheel on he rear of this bike as well. It is so much easier for me to mount a bike with that configuration. Or I might just sell this mtb I don't know.

Before I change out the wheel I have to buy a new chain breaker from wallymart. I know I could buy one really fancy one but I have broken two really fancy ones and two from wallymart. I prefer to break a three dollar breaker than a ten dollar breaker. Just my cheap self there.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I just got back from a two mile test ride on the 31cc ryobi engine. I am always amazed when I ride bikes with that small engine. It pulls hills way better than I would have ever thought. It will slow down a little on the long or steep ones but not enough so that you really have to pedal. I usually do to get the speed up but It would climb most at least at a crawl I think.

It's hard not to say good things about these little bikes. On the flat and downhill they seem to be going too fast to be safe, but then they keep going. The front mounted ryobi would be a great little bike for anyone in a more or less flat area.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I forgot to mention that this bike is running the drive wheel covered with a piece of commercial grade sandpaper gorilla glued to the drive wheel.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
it's really amazing to see what you can do with a cheapo WW engine that no on ehad hope for, a lttle elbow grease a little carb cleaner and a few hours later you have a bike with a helper engine. Too sweet.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Everytime I pull this bike out I am surprised at how little the engine weighs and how much power it has. My 33cc chainsaw engine has about the same pull power and weight a heck of a lot more.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It is a sad day but I fear the mtb is going ot be retired to donor status. I really prefer a coaster brake and small crank set. The mountain bike has a different crank set than the other bikes I have so I'm afriad it is gone. I moved the engine to the suspension bike.

I am going to resurrect the old huffy for the 42cc chainsaw engine that is sitting on a table in the shop right now. I have started to repaint the huffy.

It will have the short crank set and the 20" rear wheels.

The suspension did pretty well on the first test ride. The controls need to be adjusted but they always do. The throttle when I stretched the cable by hand worked the bike really well. It should do just fine. The clutch cable needs to be a little tighter as well.

Funny thing a piece of the sand paper flew off the roller but not all of it. I found that strange so I put a patch on and will let it cure a couple of days before I try it again.

comfortableshoes

Jul 22, 2008
Beverly, MA USA
D I just got back from a great ride around my town on my ryobi ww bike. thing ran smoooooth as could be and I'm getting the best gas mileage yet. I live in a hilly area and it pulls me up the hills pretty well, I pedal a bit- that's my exercise. That 1.5in roller with JB Weld is the best thing ever. If you can get some clean beach sand or play sand and regular set JB Weld You'll love it.

It is tough on the tires but i"m getting consistent speeds and smooth runnung and effortless bump starting. Today I didn't even pull start it before my ride nor did I warm it up. I wanted to be nice to the old folks next door (about 90 each) and not warm it up. So I primed the bulb, pulled it until it almost started took the choke off and rode off, When I hit 9 mph I dropped the engine and let her start, it was fast, then I pulled the engine up and let it getting going properly- seems to race a second when I first start it,then it settles right down, then after a few seconds I let her go and off I went.

What a ride!

Spikedfox

Sep 14, 2008
sorry to jump back a few posts but i have a weilder if you ever wanna copme down and use it. i nc that is. also trust me if you buy a weilder your next purchase is a good angle grinder. (gotta cut it)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
It's a never ending cycle of tools. One of the reasons I try to find guys who already own them lol...

Thanks I have a brother in charlotte I might come down one day but I don't have a truck and should not be allowed to drive a car anyway. I expect that I will stay with the drill and good works of my neighbor.