Experience with the SBP aluminum exhaust gasket?

GoldenMotor.com

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Hey y'all. Just wanted to see if anyone has had experience with the aluminum exhaust gasket from SBP (Sick Bike Parts)

I'm thinking of using it with my stock pipe that came with my kit to replace the stock sandwich gasket. They say it's soft aluminum and has good sealing. My concern is that I'm using stock exhaust fasteners and want to make sure that the aluminum is soft enough to conform to the contours to make a good seal without having to apply enough torque to the fasteners to strip them or pull them out of the cylinder jug.

thuginfc

Nov 28, 2009
F.W.B. Florida
it works great have had mine on for over 100 hours. pulled the head pipe off multiple times still seals great and keeps the black slime off my leg.well worth the 5 or 6 dollars i payed for it

i would recomend you replace all of the soft china junk bolts on your motor though.

sick bike parts sells a motor bolt kit also well worth it

taddthewadd

Mar 1, 2009
Visalia, California
I second that. The gasket works great but I am using it with the sbp hardware kit. I replaced the hardware right away after reading dozens of threads on hardware breakage

meowy84

Jul 18, 2009
Canada
Thanks for the opinions guys. Good to know the aluminum gasket works even with the relatively low tightening torque of the fasteners on these engines. So the only variable seems to be the hardware. And unfortunately since this is for my first build and I'm already adding a few aftermarket pieces which I think are necessary (at least for my riding style...such as the dual pull brake lever, NGK plug, better plug wire, etc) I'm not planning on upgraded hardware at least not until something breaks. The only fasteners I've replaced is the acorn nuts on the head with regular high grade nuts. I guess I could just go to my local hardware store and get some better than stock grade exhaust studs and nuts as well. Should only run me $2 or $3.

Jan 30, 2012
DC
Hey everyone thanks for the info. I just replaced the chain on my starfire and as usual something else is acting up. I first noticed that the exhaust was exiting two points, there was a loss of power, & black sludge forming on the mount. I need to replace the exhaust gasket it came with. It looks like dog food mashed into a gasket shape..I was going to use the duct tape as a temp fix..

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Duct tape works for a lot of things, but, Not as a gasket for an exhaust system. It will melt.
Go to an auto parts store and buy a sheet of gasket material made for exhaust. Cut it to fit the flange and cylinder. Before you install it make sure the exhaust flange is flat. You can use a sheet of glass or any material with a known flat surface and sandpaper, preferably a course grit and run the flange over it. You'll see right away where the high and low spots are. Sand the surface until you have a uniform, flat gasket surface then torque the fasteners to about 60 inch pounds. No need for a gasket sealer if you've used the right gasket material and have a flush surface to mount to.
Tom