New Motorcyclist. Advice wanted

GoldenMotor.com

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
Hi, I am new to the whole motorbicycle world... I stay near Ruston, La... Which is northern Louisiana.. I also attend Louisiana Tech University..

I have a few questions....

1. What would be considered as a good donor bike... and particular traits..
2. What is the best motor kit to buy? I already all about morini, but i dont have the money for it. I want to spend less than 150$ shipped.
3. I have read alot of threads of people modding their engines, what is the best way to get more power?
4. What do you recommend as a great 2 stroke oil, and does premium gas help with horsepower?
5. What is the best tooth combination for mild hills and 35-38mph top speed?
6. Any other tips to help a new rider out? anything and everything....
And i dont have the money for a shift kit..
Thanks in advance!

xct2

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Hi, I am new to the whole motorbicycle world... I stay near Ruston, La... Which is northern Louisiana.. I also attend Louisiana Tech University..

I have a few questions....

1. What would be considered as a good donor bike... and particular traits..

A beach cruiser OR any diamond frame type like a hard tail mountain bike, best without "oversized" or odd shaped tubing.
2. What is the best motor kit to buy? I already all about morini, but i dont have the money for it. I want to spend less than 150$ shipped.
Which ever one you can find in that price range, we have all heard good and bad from most vendors....read the "Find a dealer and review" thread.
3. I have read alot of threads of people modding their engines, what is the best way to get more power?
Tune it up right, break it in, then worry about adding power....probably a tuned pipe would be the best bang for the buck.
4. What do you recommend as a great 2 stroke oil, and does premium gas help with horsepower?
I use Penzoil for air cooled engines, it's non synthetic and really cheap. Never blown an engine of any kind with it, and we fly ultralights using the same oil. Premium gas does nothing with a 6:1 compression ratio.
5. What is the best tooth combination for mild hills and 35-38mph top speed?
40 or 41T.
6. Any other tips to help a new rider out? anything and everything....
http://motorbicycling.com/f30/guide-bicycle-motor-preparation-care-354.html
And i dont have the money for a shift kit..
Thanks in advance!

xct2
No problem, and welcome to the forum!

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
My advice is to listen to Bikeguy Joe. Power will increase a lot during the breakin process. In general, the first, most cost efficient performance mod for any two stroke motor is an expansion chamber, or tuned exhaust.

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
I don't think 35-38 top speed is going to happen with a 40T sprocket. I have a 36T, a tuned pipe and a broken in motor and I top out at 30 which is plenty fast enough.

One thing I'm going to have to disagree on with Joe is the best oil is Opti-2. :p

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I don't think 35-38 top speed is going to happen with a 40T sprocket. I have a 36T, a tuned pipe and a broken in motor and I top out at 30 which is plenty fast enough.

One thing I'm going to have to disagree on with Joe is the best oil is Opti-2. :p
I have no intentions of starting an argument here but I have a 41T sprocket, a 66cc Straight plug 6mm head stud engine and it's on a mountain bike, it will run 34-36 easy if you can take the massive vibration form those RPM's it will do 38mph if i'm on a slight decline, but 30-32mph is an easy speed for mine with mild vibration or I can back it down to 25-27mph with almost NO felt vibration at all.

these speeds have been confirmed by multiple vehicles and not just the digital speedometer on the bike, I will say that for a comfortable speed I would suggest the 40-41T for someone who is happy with the 25-30mph cruising speed it works the best for me at that speed range, but will run 35-36mph all out if you need it too, once the engine is broke in good and if it is tuned right, I dont have a tuned exhaust or a fancy carb. on mine either, I have a stock NT carb. and an exhaust I made out of 3/4 flex pipe and it has a small lawn mower muffler brazed to the end of it which I enlarged the holes in for better flow, flex pipe leakes and stays a little oily but works great for me.

The 41T is my favorite over all I have tried for all around power and mocerate speed. cant go wrong with this one in my book. I put a 36T on my other bike which has the slant head engine and it is slower with the 36T than my other bike is with the 41T.

Last edited:

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA
Well thanks for all the advice, i look forward to cruising in style! I just made an awesome attachment neccessary to all motorized bicycle owners!
It is a bolt on seat turn indication system with brake lights and full headlight! Awesome huh?
Just put a youtube video up.. Dunno if itll let me post the link...
YouTube - Bike Turn Indecators.MOV

Hope you like it!

nhssdf4

Jun 21, 2010
Ruston, LA

Now that i have had my bike for a while i do have to agree with Kevlarr.. Opti-2 is the best!! It makes it run so much better.. I have done a good bit to my bike since i got it, but at no time was its top speed 30mph.. It did go down recently from a good porting job (already did port matching, this is real porting) so a friend ordered new jets for our bikes.

I would like to thank all of you for the advice and if u are ever in Ruston gimme a shout and we shall ride!
-Griff
xct2

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I only top out at 23 mph.. 49cc, stock parts, 32:1 running formula 1 premium motorcycle oil. I have 24" wheels and a 44T sprocket. Anyone know any ways I can increase my speed?

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I can't, the frame is too small. I really wish I could use 26 inch wheels, because I don't want to waste money on 24 inch wheels when I could just buy a new, cheap bike with 26 in wheels.. I am wondering if it would just be cheaper for me to buy a new bike and put my motor on that

Last edited:

severedcorps

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver, BC
I have also come to decide that I like the idea of my first MB build being on 24 inch wheels. That way when I build another I will have one with 24 inch and one with 26. :D

I think I am going to try 40, I am lucky to live a 5 minute ride away from the zoombicycles warehouse, so I buy all my parts there. They are going to have expansion chambers for sale in 3 weeks!