weight limit on 80cc engine

GoldenMotor.com

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
hey guys! I'm looking to build an MB- 80cc on a cruiser frame. I have one question: how much can these motors pull? I'm a heavy guy (350+) despite that, I'm in pretty good shape and have no difficulty peddling my bike around town (I have the bike rigged with heavy-duty components to support my big butt) I just want a motor 'cause I think they're really cool. So if anyone can give me some info, I'd be greatful.

Norco John

May 26, 2009
Brookston, IN
I weigh 310 and my "80" pulls me up to 30MPH on the flats and can get me up a hill that I would normally get off and walk on if I'm pedalling.

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
Norco John,

That's very reasurring! I was weary about going to the trouble and expence of building a MB only to find that it couldn't pull me.

City of Angles,

I'll look into that.

Thanks to the both of you!

MikeJ

May 3, 2009
Colorado Springs
I second the recommendation to get a shifter kit from Sick Bike Parts. I installed mine only two weeks ago. I weigh 245 lbs. A test hill I chose is 250 feet vertical climb in about half a mile. Another factor is the hill altitude is almost 7000 feet air density above sea level on a normal day. The air is thin. On a hot day, the air density can reach an equivalent of 9000 feet above sea level. Some people from sea level have a hard time breathing in a brisk walk. Any naturally aspirated engine here puts out only 3/4 of what it can produce at sea level. My 80 cc engine can't make the entire hill by itself even in first gear. So when I am under 10 mph, I throttle back a bit and pedal. On flat highway, cruise at 30 mph in 4th gear and only 80% of redline rpm. 35 mph on declines. Only because I know it has good brakes! The engine had only 75 miles on it at hill test time. It is not fully broken in yet. I expect performance to get better at lower altitudes, in colder temperatures, and with another 100 miles on the engine.

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
I looked into the shiftkit, but I don't think I'll get it. I don't deal with multi-speed bikes. The platform for my bike will be a single speed cruiser, and I want it to be as simple as possible. Really, I don't like the idea of putting a front brake on it, but I don't wanna die. I just wanna make sure it can pull me, but I'm not trying to build a speed machine, I just want something I can put around town with.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
Having brakes on both ends is an absolute must. Your going from crusing at 10mph to at least 25mph. If you don't think you'll be going that fast it's only because you haven't had the ability too. Once your on the motorized bike it's only a matter of time till 25-30 is common place for you. This is really fun. Getting a little extra speed brings the kid back out of everyone.

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
yeah, I wanna go as fast as I can, but I have a very specific look I'm going for, very stripped down, very old school. I've ridden/worked on bikes all my life and I love beach cruisers for their simplicity- no cables or gears to muck-up the look. At first I was against the idea of a motorbike simply because of all the wires and cables running all over the place. IMHO these can ruin an otherwise beautiful cruiser. But after looking at several pics of other peoples bikes, particularly Venice Motor Bikes models, I decided ratbikes are the way to go. But still, I want it as clean as possible, only what it takes to make it go.

city of angels

May 24, 2009
tucson az
yes i understand i am also going for that type of look i have a huffy beach cruiser with a 58 cc star fire motor me and my father in law built this together i have lots of more upgrades i want to do to this bike such as a light system and an exaust system right now i am trying the amsoloil at 100:1 i heard good things about it so i decided it to give it a try

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
well, I'm a moron and don't always pick up on things right away, but I looked at Sick's shiftkit again and I see that it will work on internal hub shifters as well. Now a 3-speed rear wheel is something to consider...I saw a few bikes that used jocky shifts with skulls for knobs, now that would be awsome!

butchatron

Jul 22, 2009
kentucky
On Choppers US I just found a 3 speed hub with a stickshift. I think that's the route I'll take eventually. I'm sure I can find a skull to fit on it...

anyhoo, my goal right now is just to get the mb kit and a bike. I already have a nice bike but it's not my ideal choice for this project, I'm serioulsy considering a Schwinn Del Mar for this build. After I have it up and running, I'll look into upgrades. I do wanna make is fast as I can, I just don't want to sacrifice style along the way.